The Falsehood of Doublethink | Teen Ink

The Falsehood of Doublethink

January 10, 2009
By Anonymous

Doublethink is generally defined as the ability to accept two contradictions as fact. This, however, is a blatant impossibility. Instead, the brain makes a simple exception to the previously held belief. Consider the English language. Just as there are rules, there are also exceptions to these rules. This is how our brain works. These exceptions are created in many ways, whether in the conflict of murder and war fatalities or more mundane daily exceptions.

There are many opinions regarding the act of war and the killing that is a dark companion of it. Many faithful Christians do believe that killing, for any reason, is not acceptable. However, there are Christians who proclaim to believe this but also believe that war is a necessity on occasions. The reasoning for this is not doublethink; these people are not holding contradictions as fact. The reason for these beliefs exists in the exceptions created by the brain. The original rule of “all killing is wrong” is amended to “all killing is wrong except during war.” This is contradictory to doublethink, which would create a situation such as “all killing is wrong, but war, in which killing occurs, is right.” Thus, doublethink has not occurred. Quite simply, the brain has altered the previous rule to allow for the present way of thought.

In society today, there are many examples of irony that are mistaken for doublethink. One example of such ironies is in people’s reaction to taxes. The first reaction is to hate pouring hard-earned money into the governments hands. This view changes suddenly when a fire crew arrives at a house to quickly smother what would have been a costly affair. In this instance, the brain is creating the instinct that taxes are bad unless are presented in a manner that allows the brain to concede to the necessity of the taxes. Unless it is concrete that taxes are helping the spenders, they will be hated. According to the previous definition of doublespeak, a person with these sorts of views should be able to contend that “taxes are bad” and “taxes are good.” This is not the case. A mind maintains “contradictions” by creating simple exceptions to beliefs already instated.

In the essence of thought, there are rules. Doublethink cannot exist; semi-conflicting thoughts occur by an additional clause to the already stated rule. Many times, extreme irony is confused for pure doublethink. In the present, there is only one way for the brain to establish thought, yet should a situation of doublethink such as seen in 1984, the danger of loss of individuality would multiply. Control over the mind is the fruit of all power. Yet, as of now, doublethink cannot exist as humanity cannot comprehend two opposites simultaneously.


The author's comments:
This is a brief article describing my view on Doublethink as portrayed in George Owell's 1984.