Murder Ball | Teen Ink

Murder Ball

By Viola.B. SILVER, Ashgabat, Other
Viola.B. SILVER, Ashgabat, Other

Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls.

Joseph Gampbell

Two men sitting on wheelchair are competing with each other on the basketball court using all their effort and rudeness to control their racing. One man, having only one part of his hands takes the ball and heads to the line to get his victory. However, his rival decides to speed his chair and smashes him with such a force that he and the ball crash on the floor. The audience shouts: ”Murderball” and with this words the game goes on.

The Wheelchair rugby, or Murderball, is played by people who have some physical disabilities and not able to move without wheelchairs. This game is like a medicine that can help them express the tough feelings for being hurt by their lives. The rules of Murder Ball are full of the rudeness that only the participants of this game seem to overcome.

A Murderball is played by teams of four where men and women are mixed in the same team competing equally. The game consists of four eight-minute quarters and the team that makes more goals wins. In order to get a score, two participants have to cross the goal line of their rivals to control the ball. Athletes must pass the ball to each other every ten seconds; otherwise, the opposite team will have the right to get it. Participants are allowed to knock their rivals down by using the wheels but hitting the opponent’s chair behind the rear wheel is strictly forbidden. In case of making a physical contact with the rival or breaking other rules, the player can be deprived of the ball or be disqualified, depending on what rule was not observed. This kind of sport requires not only the toughness and rudeness but also a lot of special skills that the competitors must have in order to win. Also, players are classified according to their disabilities and movements they can make: ball handling and wheelchair skills in the point of ranging from 0.5 (the lowest functional level) and 3.5 (the highest).

But, in my opinion, the main rule of this game is to understand that even the person that has some disabilities is still able to get the benefit to his or her society. A lot of countries in Europe, Asia and Americans are involved in this kind of sport and also many International competitions are being held. So many people with physical disabilities found their rescue in Murderball and we shouldn’t be surprised that it contains such severity because for them it is the only way to express the scream of despair that so wants to come out. These people are modern heroes that show us that there is no such difficulty in life that could be impossible to overcome.