Are Trampolines Really That Bad? | Teen Ink

Are Trampolines Really That Bad?

March 28, 2016
By Cate1 BRONZE, Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey
Cate1 BRONZE, Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 Many children are not allowed to have trampolines because they are too dangerous. In a modern world, more and more children’s requests have been rejected and discarded. This has been an
issue for a lot of young children. Many parents believe that trampolines are hazardous, and don’t want to risk their children hurting themselves. Although there have been many accidents on trampolines, there are many new improvements made to make them safer and more useful. Trampolines should not be profested. This is because they help gymnasts and cheerleaders improve their skills, they are good entertainment for children of all ages, and they have made great safety improvements.

Trampolines are great for gymnasts and cheerleaders. They can be used for having fun while working harder to perfect skills for competitions. For example, when a gymnast or dancer is first learning a new skill, it is easier for them to go home and become more comfortable with the trick while on the trampoline. Many children don’t go to practice more than twice a week, and often don’t have much time to work on a skill. Trampolines offer extended practice without fees once the purchase is made. Trampolines provide a bouncy surface which allows them to jump higher and have a safety spotter just in case they fall.

Trampolines provide entertainment for all ages. It is also a great source of exercise which is very accessible when you are at home. Also, they give children the option of mental growth in their developing minds that exercise can be a fun way to spend extra time outside.  Since children find trampolines so entertaining, more and more people are beginning to have birthday parties at places such as House of Air, Sky Zone, Bounce, and Bounce U (for younger children). According to Elizabeth Lesly Stevens’ article, “An Element of Risk, Sure, but Oh What Fun”, trampolines are fun, but are risky. In the article it states, “We take safety very seriously,” Mr. Schaeffer said. “Our injury rates are well below that of other action sports.” This shows that many trampoline places care about the safety of their customers, so you can have fun without worrying about getting hurt. Without having the financial addition also, the costs are much better than having to pay for admission each time you’d like to jump for joy. 

A lot of people believe that trampolines are not safe for many reasons. Although there have been many serious injuries, there have also been great improvements to the trampoline as well. Some trampolines used to have no net protection. Nowadays, trampolines are made with highly protective nets around the trampoline for safety. This helps protect adolescents from falling off the trampoline and injuring themselves. Of course there are precautions but it is irrational to believe that trampolines are the reason for many accidents. Children need to be responsible with what they're doing on the trampoline. Many accidents are caused by kids personal decisions, such as attempting hard backflips that they are not capable of. It is extremely important to buy a trampoline with a solid net, there are plenty out there, so putting your child at risk should not be a consideration.

In conclusion, though trampolines can be dangerous, there are many qualities that do make them safe and useful. Trampolines can help gymnasts and cheerleaders improve their skills. They are also good entertainment for children of all ages, and they have made great safety improvements. You should always be careful, but overall many people can agree that trampolines are very fun and safe!


The author's comments:

Madeline and I were inspired to write about this topic because we both believe trampolines are extremely fun and great for children. We have both been gymnasts at one point in our life and have noticed that trampolines were a great advantage in improving a skill.