My angel disguised as a teacher | Teen Ink

My angel disguised as a teacher

By Jewels SILVER, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jewels SILVER, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Only God could see
That a teacher would make a difference in me.
The day I will never overlook
And the courage that it took
The day he helped me fight off my fear
Was in the second month of the year.
Because of the concern in his tone,
I knew that I wasn’t in this alone.
I will never forget the expression on his face or the worry in his eyes.
I know he wasn’t just going to let this slip by.
He gave me hope that things could get better.
Soon after I began to rise like a feather.
Because he cared and didn’t let me walk away
I am where I am today.

(a teacher on the out but a angel on the in)

Mr. Jordan was his name. I will never forget him. I was in the 10th grade and he was my Creative Writing teacher. It happened when I was falling back in class and I had always been a straight A student in the past. I was the last one out of his class so I started talking to him, not in a rush to get to lunch. I don’t know how I started to tell him, but I told him everything that was going on at my house. He looked at me and said “Jewels we have to tell someone”. He took me up to the school counselor and helped me tell her what was going on. She couldn’t really do anything about it, so that was the end of that. I thought “oh well. I’ll just go to jail for running away while on probation”. Sure enough, I got arrested that day for running away from my home. I was looking at 2-5 years locked up. In the back of my mind I heard Mr. Jordan’s voice saying “we have to tell someone”. That’s when I built up the courage to tell the judge what was happening at my house. If it weren’t for him telling me those words, I would be incarcerated. He changed my life. I am now focused of school and working my way up to be a heart surgeon. He was my angel disguised as a teacher. God bless him.