If only you knew | Teen Ink

If only you knew

December 9, 2021
By Asherah1133 GOLD, Ensign, Kansas
Asherah1133 GOLD, Ensign, Kansas
13 articles 62 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take your reins like a flower, not like a stone. Take your horse by your waist and your seat, not by your hand and never by force. If you do force, it is not the art of riding, it is something else. ~ Nuno Oliveira


If only you knew.

If only you knew how your words cut me like daggers.

I tell myself, maybe if you knew what your bitter words did too me, then maybe just maybe you wouldn't say them.

But then I think about the past and remember everything that has been said.                      And then...And then I'm not so sure. I'm no longer sure that you would show me mercy.                         

I am held against the sharp point of your dagger never quite knowing, when I'll be struck. It's like playing with a bomb, you never when the pin will drop.

Maybe it is me. Maybe I'm the reason you are this way. I'll never know.                            I have guesses, but no real answer.                                                                                              Maybe one day when I'm no longer held at the tip of your dagger, I'll ask without the fear of being cut into pieces. I'll have my answer then, if ever that day comes.

If only you knew, that I will never stop loving you, no matter the words that are said.      I would still give my life to save yours.


The author's comments:

I don't think people understand the extent to which words can hurt someone.              Yes they're only words, but they are also much more than that as well.                                               Words can be a lethal weapon. Words can cut people down until there is nothing left inside of them to care anymore. Words can make you want to give up. To want nothing more than to just be done. But some where in that you have to find the strength to fight.  To not give up. There is so much more to this life, that we have yet to see. If we stop now we'll never get to see it. It's dark right now but there is ALWAYS a light at the end of the tunnel and you are NEVER alone. God is with you every step of the way you just might not see Him in the moment but when you look back you will.                                              Choose carefully the emotion that you let control your words. Always be kind.                      There are tons of kind people in the world so if you can't find one then be one.