Morgan | Teen Ink

Morgan

By 2guyder BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2guyder BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The name Morgan is a girl's name of Welsh origin meaning "sea-born, sea-song or sea-circle". Derived from the Irish, Muirgen has a “sea-born” correlation as well. These describe it as a cold, hard wave of salt water. Or a calm, captivating, deep blue, abyss. But Morgan doesn’t feel like the sea. 

Rather than deep blue, a bold red for the solidity of the 4 consonants. The calm breeze of the ocean poorly describes the lucid flow from the M to the n. Red, like a raging flame that engulfs everything it touches. Or a quiet, old barn that squeaks in the wind as it sits on rusted hinges. Morgan resonates a bold set of qualities.

It took me years to fully appreciate its ring. In middle school, never had I met someone with the same name, except one boy in my 6th grade after school program. This is where my first resentment developed. Knowing that the only Morgans that I knew were boys. But the Morgan of first grade and Morgan Freeman were only the smallest of my worries when I learned that the name Morgan can also describe a breed of a horse. Being associated with farm life was not ideal for a middle school girl.

Approaching highschool, the farm girl's appeal to my name seemed to disappear as I met three other, girl, Morgans. It was cool to see my burden of a name was being shared.It was  even cooler that their appreciation for their names was a lot greater than mine. I went through some reflection on my name, and realized my critiques were unfair. 

My mother had decided on Morgan because it was the road that encased our family farm, which stood generation after generation. This was a noble gift that she gave me, because not only did my name possess meaning, but it also correlated to our family history. The history of our cattle farm that my great-grandfather’s great-grandfather carried on today, through me. The dreaded farm appeals to the name Morgan, became a little more meaningful.

Morgan belongs to the setting sun, in a viginet of warm colors. The soft, coarse texture of a tiger’s fur. The humbling buzz of the bees working profusely to make delicious honey perfectly resembles its hum. Morgan is a name that I can represent, knowing its beauty is that of the morning dew freshly laid onto a lawn of healthy, green grass.

It is thrilling to have a newfound appreciation for my name, as I am stuck with it my whole life. Morgan can mean a bountiful of things, from history to bold imagery, and that is something worth appreciating. I hope when others think of my name, they can think highly, from  just the sheer sound of the letters, to maybe what my influence on their insight of my personality. Either way, the name Morgan does mean a lot in origin, and I am glad to try to make it mean more in character.