The Sun Goes Down On Summer | Teen Ink

The Sun Goes Down On Summer

February 7, 2022
By sfischer2 BRONZE, Bergen County, New Jersey
sfischer2 BRONZE, Bergen County, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


The lake calls my name beckoning me to come one more time before the sun goes down on summer. 

The warmth of the sun hugs me as the sandy feeling slowly fades away, disappearing in the wind.

Running to the dock so fast we could slip at any moment.

We jump plunging into warm water and our worries melt away like ice cream in the hot sun.                                                                                        

My feet brush the sand at the bottom of the lake reminding me of the calm endless days.

My cousins giggle and radiate happiness that is so contagious it's impossible not to grin.

 

Soon it won't be giggles, it will be lectures and yelling.  

The chairs that were once covered in sand will be covered in cobwebs and dust. 

Sitting in desks listening to the clock tick like paddles hitting water. 

Swimming through the hallway like fish in silent murky water.

My brain will become invaded with intrusive thoughts.

Noise, no free time, nervousness, stress, tests, grades, quizzes, homework, popularity, memory, anxiety, overwhelmed. School.


But what if I do better? 

What if I focus and stay in control? 

Could I do better?

Instead of my grades sinking lower and lower will they rise out into sunlight, and fill my heart with warmth and pride?    


 I want to find my sunlight.                                                                             


The author's comments:

This was a poem I had to write for school, but I loved how it turned out. I feel it shows a perspective on going back to school after a stress-free summer.