The Small Ripples Grow | Teen Ink

The Small Ripples Grow

January 26, 2023
By KaiTrammell PLATINUM, Highwood, Montana
KaiTrammell PLATINUM, Highwood, Montana
21 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The truth as always resists simplicity" John Green


I sit by the open waters and watch as the seas fade out into the skyline. For all we know the waves drip off of the side of the earth like a drop of water slipping down the side of an overfilled glass. I look and think about the ripples of the waves, one small movement sends a ripple out to the seas. It starts off as just a small wrinkle in the ocean but it will soon grow and grow until it becomes a thrashing world whipping wave that will crash against the shore with all its might. I believe that me and the ocean have that in common. The calmness of the sea is only a mask for its true colors, the small ripples are only a distraction for the anger beneath its crest. The smile on my face is only there for the reason of staying hidden, maybe the ocean will grant me sanctuary and let me hide beneath its waves. It will hide me behind its breathtaking waters and shield me underneath its anger. Maybe underneath the ocean's anger I will find sadness, maybe the ocean will find that in me too.  As I sit by the seas the sky turns to gray and I understand that the ocean is ready to rage again. The small ripples begin to grow and the ocean takes its mask off, an anger has brewed in the sea and only I am here to witness it. Me and the ocean do not have that in common, no one sits to admire my wrath as I do the oceans. As the winds pick up and the waves crash, I begin to feel that anger, the one that we both share. I stand and scream, I yell for my heart that aches and for the mask I put on. Me and the ocean unmask ourselves and I begin to feel comfort in the fact that something understands me. The waves slowed and I sat again knowing that the small ripples always lead to something more, something bigger, something more angry and sad.  


The author's comments:

This is a vignette I wrote for an English class. I ended up really loving this piece as it shows someone who feels misunderstood. It's hard to feel understood when everyone around you only sees perfection and happieness.