Night Sky | Teen Ink

Night Sky

By owenw35 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
owenw35 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Like a dark sheet into which thousands of tiny white holes are punched, covering the night sky. Dazzling reflections dance across the rippled waters. Silence and anticipation fill the void between the shimmering stars and me. 

There are so many. 

I sit on the dock waiting, yearning for the moment that one of those lights begins to move. My neck aches along with my heart as the north star creeps higher into the night sky and my hope begins to spread thin.

Suddenly, instantly, a white streak flashes before my tired eyes. The music of my excited heartbeat fills my ears. A moment later, another star sneaks past the Earth. And almost like magic, the sky is filled with an astounding array of falling stars, beautifully painting the darkness. 

I sit in awe, filled with comfort in the fact that I am sitting under the same sky as everyone else on Earth. Maybe someone is down the street mesmerized by the same meteors piercing through outer space. Maybe someone across the world is lying on their dock watching the same stunning show along with me. 

As the shower slowly comes to a stop, I lay content on my dock, peering still at the silent sky. Maybe someone is looking back from one of those tiny holes punched into the dark sheet in front of me, wondering, too, who is staring back at them.