Trapped! | Teen Ink

Trapped!

By zman1 PLATINUM, Bethesda, Maryland
zman1 PLATINUM, Bethesda, Maryland

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

Life is a labyrinth.
When you enter you meander like a floating leaf.
Dazed and confused!
Mystified like a confined rat!
How will you seek destiny?

A sheen ball of golden thread, lies in front of you.
You string it through life’s paradoxical trials, until the exit glints.

Life could feel like a maze. There is an entrance, several dead ends which builds up your stress, and there is an exit. Generally, we encounter this maze in high school. During freshman year you meet a beautiful girl and start dating with her. Then you are forced to break up. Then you try to complete the HSAs, which only adds more dead ends to this maze. During senior year you must apply for colleges and all that. Fortunately the prom paves the way for the first maze’s exit. This poem is largely inspired by the Greek myth of Theseus. In order to master King Minos’s labyrinth he used Ariadne’s ball of thread to find the Minotaur and his way through the labyrinth. In reality we have to conquer these mazes in order to succeed in life. In high school, dropping out is just like sealing yourself for life in this maze. Carry on and you will find the exit.