Kuerner Farm | Teen Ink

Kuerner Farm

March 5, 2013
By Marina303 SILVER, Greer, South Carolina
Marina303 SILVER, Greer, South Carolina
7 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The people who don't know me think i am quiet, the people who do wish i were"
"I can only please one person per day, today is not your day...tomorrow probably isn't either"


Is this not the life you left behind?
Where death was cocked in the barrel of your gun, death you left when the war was done.

Is this not the life you wanted?
America, freedom, that siren song that swept you from family for two years long.

Was it not worth it?
Those lonesome two years of back breaking toil, when family rejoined you on American soil.

Was it not wonderful?
That farm which laughed with life and color, home it was still life has a brother.

Were you not aware?
Her sanity depended on the ability to speak, but tongue tied before them what friends could she meet.

Were you not angry?
When your shriveled blossom was dragged away, and your passion for life did not stay.

Is this not the life you left behind?
Where death was cocked in the barrel of your gun, this battle it seams death has won.

For this is the land you created, where a mad woman screamed and angles still sing. For death.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece after having studied the painting Kuerner Farm by Andrew Wyeth in Art History class. The Farm was near where Wyeth lived and he portrays it in a very cold and lonely manner. The Kuerners were from Germany, the husband left to work and raise money to buy the farm after being in a WWI. Unfortunately, when his wife left Germany and began life on the farm she never learned English and eventually went mad. After his wife was taken away Mr. Kuerner died shortly after.