Insisto | Teen Ink

Insisto

By Perfectionist_101 SILVER, Richmond, Texas
Perfectionist_101 SILVER, Richmond, Texas

SLOWLY: my feet stumble
Carelessly along the rocky road
I explore.
Not knowing WHEN or HOW I will reach my
Final destination, my mind pushes me
Forward into the world unknown:

I AM FREE.

INEVITABLY: markings begin to appear,
Directing me,
Revealing where others have ventured:
Where my future may lie.

I FOLLOW.
The neglected paths lay barren for someone else:

AM I FREE?

NOW: We tread carefully over
The fallen rocks, our final destination in view
From where I stand
Among many.
Only our mind is free to wonder at what we have lost:

*Title is latin: to enter upon a journey; follow

This piece represents what I think our life journey can become if we do not experiment and take 'the road less travelled', as it were. Each stanza represents a different stage of life: the first is childhood. It is a time when we are exploring the world and experimenting with our surroundings. The second stanza is between teenaged years and part of adulthood. It is when decisions are beginning to be made that will impact our lives in future. We are much more scheduled and predictable on a day-to-day basis. In the third stanza, I am talking about being an adult who has made the socially 'correct' decisions. As a result, they can already see where their life will take them beause so many other people have done the same thing.

The indentations you see represent freedom: as the freedom decreases through the poem, the indentations become less prominent because the strucutre is conforming to the generic form of a poem. The ellipsis on the last line references the lack of freedom that is found on the last line of every other stanza, showing that this is what has been lost through conforming. I think using latin in the title of the poem creates an idea of this conforming idea tracing back even to those time because I do think it does. I really hope you enjoy reading this!

wow anja that is the coolest i hav read yet it is actually amazin n so deep it is really cool!!!

ciara

xxx

Mark123 said...
Very insightful and deep - could be used for musical lyrics

in genious, i love how there's like a hidden meaning to it, it's so fascanating ;) keep writing you've got sreious talent!