Solis | Teen Ink

Solis

By trysten SILVER, Carlsbad, California
trysten SILVER, Carlsbad, California

You lay your gentle kisses upon my face

And surround my body in a warm embrace

You're perceived as this shining star

But when I get close to you

I remember

How deadly you really are

trysten SILVER said...
trysten SILVER, Carlsbad, California
A part of me wishes that I had added something about the sun being blinding to it's deadly nature, since the sun had the ability to actually blind your eyes, but I think that would've made the poem too drawn out. I think it flows well by it being short.

trysten SILVER said...
trysten SILVER, Carlsbad, California
I typically don't leave a description for my poems, because I think one of the most beautiful things in writing is that poems can be interpreted in so many different ways, but I'd like to go into detail on what this poem was really talking about. In this piece, an abuser was meant to resemble the sun which each different line: "You lay your gentle kisses upon my face and surround my body in a warm embrace" in the way the sun 'kisses' your face and gives you a warm, comforting feeling. "You're perceived as this shinning star", because the sun is a star. And finally "But when I get close to you, I remember how deadly you really are" is referring to how the sun is deadly due to it's high temperature. The abuser has all the traits of the sun, with them playing the role of a sweet, caring person who is a 'shinning star' specifically to reel you in. But once you get close to them, their true colors come out and you realize how toxic of people they are. That is why the poem is titled Solis, because it's another name for the sun.

trysten SILVER said...
trysten SILVER, Carlsbad, California
@sgoel thank you so much for your kind words(:

sgoel BRONZE said...
sgoel BRONZE, Stanford, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography" - Mark Twain

The language is really nice and flows well :)