Drowning | Teen Ink

Drowning

January 25, 2021
By B26 BRONZE, Gardner, Kansas
B26 BRONZE, Gardner, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.


The sun creeping in my window.

I wake up to the morning creating another unique song.

The trees gently sway to the music as I stand for the first time on this new day.

My window argues as I force it open eager to see the new day.

The wind whistles gracefully as if singing with the bluebirds.

Through the trees, the river runs to the ocean.

The ocean roars as the rivers new current crash against the incoming waves

As I make it to the ocean the sand remembers my footprints as I walk.

Now at the small sailing boat, the rope attempts to rip away from the dock.

The waves try their hardest to free the boat.

I leap onto the sailing boat as it rocks from my sudden motion.

Soon drifting to sea the sail springs open tearing against the wind.

The day vastly passes by, dusk now arriving.

The stars guiding me towards the horizon.

Soon, clouds roll in looking down on my small sailboat.

The waves grow uneasy as the clouds cover the last visible sliver of moonlight.

The sailboat struggles as the waves run frantically at the voice of the thunder.

The thunder speaks loudly blocking all other sound, consuming my mind.

Panic and stress find me mixing with the sound of thunder and panic-stricken waves.

The sail pardons from the boat diving straight down into the deep, dark, ominous sea.

Desperately, I look for guidance but the thick fog and rain block my view.

I lay on my back in the boat facing the terrors surrounding me. 

Water continues jumping in and washing over me.

All hope quickly fading and sinking into the deep immeasurable ocean.

I make a last plea for help as the mangled boat’s tip points straight up.

The boat and I are quickly engulfed by the screeching whirlpool.

Silence.

I hear nothing, no raging waves nor petrifying thunder.

The panic is hushed, the stress is relieved.

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep*  The agitating alarm hollers.

Reality smacks me in the face.

Now, the new day waits avidly for me to start again.

Hope returns, but now anxiety side-by-side with it. 

I take a deep breath hoping the overwhelming waves won’t swamp me once again.


The author's comments:


This poem turned into a way for me to express the feeling that I am drowning. This is most likely the best way I can describe how it feels to be lost. I feel we restart every day hoping the day will go emotionally  “as-planned”. As you go through the day it’s likely something turns your emotions upside down and the thunder begins consuming your ears and the waves wash over you creating panic and other negative emotions. There are more times than not when you must deal with this whirlpool in your mind by yourself. Sometimes you desperately seek guidance knowing you will not receive any.  Therefore it being as if the raging storm is so loud no one can hear your pleas and struggles. Then, because the storm is so thick and your in the middle of nowhere you feel lost and begin to lose hope you will “survive”. Sometimes the only time this hurricane in your mind ends is when you fall asleep forcing its silence. I know I am not the only person who feels these emotions. I have to empathize with all who feel this. It makes you feel like it will never end. It scares me to think because of this drowning feeling some people go to extremes to silence the war in their head. But, I understand why they do. It just makes you wish you could have been there going through it with them, each saving each other from the lonely and lost state of mind.