The lies they told me | Teen Ink

The lies they told me

By ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii

Who knew 

about the lies they told me

that they were toying with my heart

that they never felt the way I did

even at the start

they had used me and lead me on

never had I felt so wronged

After all I treated them with the utmost respect,

seeing how that was my undoing, that I am beginning to regret

showered them with all the affection I owned

Only for them to leave me utterly alone

I called him my bestfriend and called her my lover

I love them both with all my heart, though they're gone forever 

I believe them leaving me and me finding someone else new, will all be for the better.

Because we all consisted of nothing but the lies they told me.

I wrote this poem after my girlfriend, who I loved deeply, broke up with me saying that she had never felt the way I did, and that she hadn't mean to lead me on, and after my bestfriend who I treasured as if he were my family told me he too had never thought of me as his bestfriend and was only friends with me because he had a crush on a close friend of mine, but it was short lived and when it ended, he ended things with me too. Till this day I don't know my Exs reason for being with me, or why my Ex bestfriend thought he had to be friends with me because of a crush.

ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
@CaliFranceGurl648 first I would like to say yes I'm much better now, next I would like to say I had no idea my poetry had the power to make somebody cry, finally I would like to add that I hope you have healed from your own heartbreak.

ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
@Dragonrider16 to answer your question I don't really know why guys are so controlling lol must be something inside of their genetics. I'm really glad you left that situation and I hope you have success in finding that special someone!

Dragonrider16 PLATINUM, Omaha, Nebraska

we are all born with a divine fire in us. our effort should be to give wings to this fire.

@ILiveToRead To answer your earlier question yes I am a 17 girl, I have a question, Why are guys always so controlling? LOL, My ex wouldn't let me talk to other guys who were my friends, which is another reason why I left him. My belief is if they don't treat you like the queen you are, they don't deserve you!

CaliFranceGurl648 GOLD, San Diego, California

“I am a California girl, born and raised, so flip-flops and cutoff shorts are my go-to look."

– Meghan Markle

@ILiveToRead, I hope you're fine now.
I too suffered a similar break up. Oh my God! That sucks! Now I'm lover-less but I know that the special someone I'm looking for is out there looking for me.
BTW, your poem literally made me cry. It was so strong like the coffee that maman makes. Tu es Magnifique!

ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
@Dragonrider16 Your support is greatly appreciated, when I first wrote this I was still strongly feeling the effects. My new bestfriend is much nicer and I have decided to put my heart out there and trust him. And though I'm scared, (My new bestfriend suspects I've been traumatized by that experience because act really weird around him), I have decided that this is worth it. Happiness is worth it. Remember that. Also are you a girl? I am a 16 yr old girl. One more thing, ik it's alot, your dad sounds like a nice guy.

Dragonrider16 PLATINUM, Omaha, Nebraska

I have had this happen and I know the feeling, I know you can find a better person, my dad always told me that if a guy cheats on you, years later you can walk by and he will see you with a better man, and say I shouldn't have broke her heart.

ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
@Rsnail-925 Thank you for your support it is extremely appreciated. And I am soo sorry that you had to go through anything even remotely like my own experience. Because I remember my experience being earth shattering. I will never be the same.. though I am a better person because of it

Rsnail-925 PLATINUM, Boulder, Colorado

A story has as many versions as it has readers - Winter Of Our Discontent

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I had a similar experience happen to me and it sucked. I hope everything is okay after this.