2555 Days | Teen Ink

2555 Days

By Yeony_Jung_ BRONZE, Dubai Marina, Other
Yeony_Jung_ BRONZE, Dubai Marina, Other
1 article 8 photos 1 comment

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito"

You're only a teenager for 2555 days,

So

Make friends,

Go to that party,

Watch movies,

Break the rules,

And fall in love with being alive again,

Because no one looks back at nights

Where they got plenty of sleep,

They look back on the nights  

When they felt alive more than ever.

Hello, my name is Yeony, a 9th grader residing in Dubai. I created this poem '2555' days to remind students out there - and also myself - that we don't stay as teenagers forever. We are only teens for 2555 days, which is only a small portion of our life, and this period never comes back. I realized how so many of my friends and peers are too focused on things like academic grades or unsocial activities, that they are wasting their years to be teens. I know that when I graduate and become older, I will look back at times when I was a teenager. I will look back at times of when I hung out with friends, when I threw parties, and when I made impulsive decisions. Those memories of when I felt 'alive' and 'free' will have a huge impact on shaping ME later on in the future. Through the poem, I wanted to convey a message that it is important to fully appreciate being teens, and experiencing as much as possible so that we don't regret not doing the things only teenagers can do in the future. 

Egycal52 SILVER, --, California

"Hats off to the past, coats off to the future."
- American Proverb
"Why do you keep hiding behind your mask,
When even the scars formed by your mistakes
are you own constellations?"

Going into the school year, I'm definitely going to be coming back to this poem a lot when i'm stressed to remind myself to have fun. Thanks for this reminder!