what is that creature? | Teen Ink

what is that creature?

February 19, 2023
By AeshnaC BRONZE, Cupertino, California
AeshnaC BRONZE, Cupertino, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

society is confusing. it tells us to do one thing and contradicts itself two seconds later. it tells women to conceal emotions, but then accuses women of being too emotional. it tells men that taking care of themselves isn't masculine, but when they dont take care of themselves they are “dirty.” crying is for women, muscles are for men. women take care of the kids, men earn the money. women have no brains, men have no heart. society draws us to insatiable habits, never being satisfied with what we have. society enables materialism and calls us spoiled when we follow it. clothes are better than true love. money should buy happiness.we try to stand up to society, but any efforts to break free have shown futile. women are now CEOs and men now wear makeup but yet women are still underestimated and men are still shamed for being too ‘zesty’. apparently, people of color don’t have any issues anymore, racism no longer exists. but colored men and women die everyday. society is a creature with wings, horns, and razor teeth, but whose wings were clipped too early, horns were taken for recreation, and teeth were filed because they were too pointy. society is now a creature full of spite, a creature who acts and smiles in deceit. a creature who says its ok but starves. a creature that laughs at death but cries at living. society is a person who hasn’t made up their mind. a person who doesn’t know whether to wear blue or white today. a person who wants a divorce but knows they will never find anyone better. a person who wants to speak up, but has too much on the line. society is a little messed up in the head, but doesn’t want to admit it. society likse simplicity, conformity, but individuality is too much of a threat. society likes sameness, order, dilligence, but not creativity, creativity leads to imagination and imagination leads to thinking, and society doesn't like brains that are carved a different way than others. society says we are too basic, but when we embrace who we are, we are too different. some differences are unique and some are odd. society decides that. society creates codes for us, so society is happy. society doesnt care about others. society is a numb, lifeless, brick wall. it hugs us with a knife behind it’s back. society is insidious, villainous, and full of lies. society code is a code of death, not a code of life. to truly live, you must disregard the code. you must corner society and stare straight in it’s dark, charcoal, abyss of eyes and say ‘screw you’.