Growing Pains | Teen Ink

Growing Pains

November 7, 2023
By 4damonb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
4damonb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

To want more time.

Time to do the things I never got to do.

Time to see the people I love the most before I must leave.

Time to be a kid again, when life was just a smooth ride down a straight path.

Oh, the pain of growing up.


To want less stress.

Stress about being the best I can be for my parents.

Stress about setting myself up for the best possible future.

Stress about winning in the game of life, though this game is all too real.

Oh, the pain of growing up.


To want more security.

Security of knowing I’ll make it.

Security of having what I’ll need to succeed.

Security of being everything I need to be, like a king for his pupils.

Oh, the pain of growing up.


To have more structure.

Structure at school in my classes.

Structure in my work and at my jobs.

Structure in my decisions that will lead me to a brighter future.

Oh, the pain of growing up.


To need less fragility.

Fragility in the time I have left being a child.

Fragility in my mind, leaving uncertain thoughts behind.

Fragility in finding the right choices to make to bind success to my future.

Oh, the strength in growing up.


The author's comments:

I wanted to write about the stresses of life and growing up. With college right around the corner, life gets to be a lot and I feel like that works well with the concept of catharsis. All of these life choices that I, a kid, have to make are a lot to take on mentally and it can build up. I wanted to create a piece that shows how I feel about the process of growing up and starting to think about moving on to college. My thoughts were about wanting time back to just be a kid again, reminiscing about the times in my life that were not so stressful, and security in my future and knowing I will make it through these stressful times. It also conveys those feelings of built-up stress and not only how I have felt about the past but how I am feeling about the future. For the structure of the poem, each stanza is shaped in somewhat of a step-like fashion, symbolizing the steps to success that I am taking while building my better future.