staticity | Teen Ink

staticity

May 7, 2024
By Myfmichaela SILVER, Great Falls, Virginia
Myfmichaela SILVER, Great Falls, Virginia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The fluorescent lights of the subway glaze my eyes over with their oily blue sheen; I've passed the threshold and all I am is awake. Next to me, they are all brand-new flesh, but I only want the stone; I love to be with the concrete, the rain-soaked high-rise buildings that drip, drip, drip, until all you can see is the fog in their irises and the distant blue lights of the walls of an apartment that’s awake, too. If I look up, there is sky, and then there is concrete. There is always concrete: methodical blocks and things far too heavy to lift up — and the stony voice crackles from the speakers, a layer of dust rejoicing in its last swirl through the air as I step off the train, into a land without movement.


The author's comments:

Michaela Ye-Hyang Frey is a sixteen-year-old Langley High School student. She is a debater, poet, painter, web designer, and admirer of long, winding blocks of prose. She has been a violinist since 2011, and talks about it in her writing quite often. She received a scholarship from JSA Women’s Leadership Institute, canvassed for political campaigns, and won numerous Scholastic Writing Awards for Poetry. She has also published her work in Stone Soup and was on the long list for the Sunspot Literary Journal. She is passionate about emphasizing non-Eurocentric art history, and founded the Gliese Art Collective, a local nonprofit that gathers and compiles resources to preserve valuable history. Mostly, she writes about matters concerning the intersections of cybernetics, artistry, outer space, and identity.