you're too busy surviving to live | Teen Ink

you're too busy surviving to live

By oracle-of-nonsense PLATINUM, Winnabow, North Carolina
oracle-of-nonsense PLATINUM, Winnabow, North Carolina

"We are born with two incurable diseases -- life, from which we die; and hope, which says maybe death isn’t the end."
- Andrew Greeley

Grow up
and cut your hair.
Get a job,
and stop caring
because you've stopped believing
because cynicism is cheaper and more fashionable,
because all your energy is used up
trying to stay apathetic
toward the things you really hate
but have to put up with anyway
for whatever reason
society has given this decade.
Stop wasting your time on roses
and other ephemeral things,
like people.
Stop writing, stop painting
and for God's sake stop asking us
WHY.
Go to work,
eat, sleep, don't dream,
then repeat as necessary
until you too become dust
and perpetuate the cycle.

And that's the reason we go to elementary, middle, and high school, then on to college. Yayyyyy. Aren't you excited kids?

Or do you just feel lied to? They promised us that all the schooling would lead to eventual happiness, that there was a reason we shouldn't drop out, that we'd get better jobs and lead amazing lives if we just stayed in school. But it's not that easy. They just want us to keep working to keep up the chain gang that has been perpetuated since people stopped doing the things they loved and started doing the things that paid the most money. Because money = happiness, right?

</rant>

DeleteMe said...
on Sep. 25 2012 at 1:27 am
DeleteMe, Nampa, Idaho
Sublime. :) I can feel the exhaustion and bitterness breathe from your words. You're obviously talented.

lil.awol ELITE said...
lil.awol ELITE, Independence, Missouri

"there's a darkness upon me that's flooded in light, and i'm frightened by those that don't see it" ~the avett brothers, head full of doubt

i really like this poem, it reminds me of one i wrote titled Zombie that talks about the daily routines that kill me. i've had the conversation behind the idea that i feel you're trying to get across with my mom many times and i can't tell you how often people tell me to stop asking questions lol i have been looking through all your stuff and it really speaks to me. keep writing and please check out my stuff too :)