Excuse Me, What’s Your Name Again? | Teen Ink

Excuse Me, What’s Your Name Again?

By sarah.lamphier GOLD, Park City, Utah
sarah.lamphier GOLD, Park City, Utah

Nobody pays much attention to names. Sometimes they are forgotten or confused, left behind in the midst of introductions. But they are more important than you think, and they have meaning. But maybe the meaning of your name isn’t meant for you, so you have to find one that fits. Your name can just be a word if you want it to. You can change it, or you can go in to the world and make one for yourself. I know people who aren’t even called by their names because that’s not who they are. They rename themselves, with one that represents who they want to become.
My name is Sarah; it means princess of all women. But if I were a princess I would live in a castle, wearing a tiara and someday I’d live happily ever after with Prince Charming. I am not a princess. My family isn’t royalty. My family is like a quilt- we’ve been unraveled and patched back together, now only strings hold us together. To me, that’s exactly what my name means. The beauty in it might not make sense, like the clouds that look like bubble gum when the sun rises. Or the strength behind someone’s crying eyes.
You’re name could be the song the you heard on the radio this morning that’s stuck in your head, if that’s what you want it to be. It can be your thoughts, or your talent. Your name is a blank piece paper sitting in front of you; you can fill it with anything you want. Perhaps color, words, or you can simply leave it as it is.
First impressions or second chances. It’s anything you want it to be. Next time you meet somebody, think about it. I call myself Sarah. What’s your name?