The Self-Proclaimed | Teen Ink

The Self-Proclaimed

By LondonEye DIAMOND, Randolph, New Jersey
LondonEye DIAMOND, Randolph, New Jersey

Charlatan-- boaster
But not fool
For so are the meek;
The modest, and the silent monarchs
Who from appraisal hide
Be worm who announces "Cobra!"
As clever as the fox
And painter advertising blank canvas
Sharp as flattened head

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I am so very glad to hear that!

I loved reading your answer, because I find that my reason for writing is much the same. I'm fairly reserved as well, and people often think me to be empy-minded, so I am attempting to prove otherwise to a different audience. I want to leave evidence of my substance, I suppose; so that it does not die when I die. When I am creating, I don't feel like my being is in vain. Part of it, I guess, is indescribable for me; sometimes I have to force myself to keep writing, but I think that it would also be difficult to stop!

Much obliged. :)

LondonEye said...
Oh goodness ... how could you ever believe that I do not appreciate your comments? In fact, the excitement I experience when I read your kind comments is almost unreasonable! I nearly wish I knew who you were so that I could thank you properly. Being compared to Emily Dickinson is probably the best compliment I've ever received. Why do I write? Hm, well, my first reason is probably common among all poets/artists/writers: I need some creative outlet, some means by which I may uncage my thoughts and feelings. If I kept everything inside of me, I'd mentally implode. :) But personally speaking, I am a painfully shy, awkward, timid person who has a lot of trouble communicating effectively and conveying thoughts to people. Because I lack a voice in that sense, I turn to the pen to give me a voice. I suppose I rely on the written word in that way. I'm not exactly surewhy I've chosen to share my work on TeenInk (there will be more to come!). I think it might be because I am so eager, so desperate to make my voice known. Because my own peers assume I have no thoughts to share, publishing myself like this is the best way to prove to the world that I exist. Thank you for asking. :) And now I'm very eager to know, why do you write? I'm going to go look at your writings more thoroughly right now. I can tell that you are a profound thinker.

~Kahlil Gibran

London Eye, why do you write poetry? If you think that to be an obvious question, then I will ask instead: why do you post your poetry on Teenink?

~Kahlil Gibran

I suppose it's likely that you have tired of receiving my comments by now, but I will plow on all the same!

Again, I am reminded of the brilliance of Emily Dickinson; where the reader at first thinks the poet's style to be conservative. But at the deepest level, that is not at all so. The nature of your metaphor is such that freedom is granted to the ideas which you present behind the lines. I very much liked the concept of the 'boaster,' especially the "worm who announces 'cobra!'" Such cleverness.