Good Morning | Teen Ink

Good Morning

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

There is something crisp
about this morning
with an azure
clouded-dappled sky
and a honeyed haze.

There is something sweet
about this morning:
the vase of violet orchids
that sits on our nightstand
are fresh and fragrant as
the day last week
when you brought them home
coming back from work.

There is something provocative
about this morning
with the only thing covering
our bodies
are these thin
cool cotton sheets so sheer
that the outlines
of both you and me
must be visible:
our warmth trapped beneath.
You roll over,
thinking I’m asleep,
and get out of bed
without bothering to put on your crumpled clothes,
lying on the floor next to mine,
or without covering your torso
with some sheets.
You bare backside recedes
from my view
as you go out to the kitchen
to brew our coffee.

There is something euphonic
about this morning,
as you get back in bed,
and your voice
is the first sound
to bid me, “Good morning,”
while our steaming coffee
brews in the background,
its guttural song
making it all the way
into our bedroom.
There is something promising
about this morning
with your smile greeting me,
your cheeks dimpling,
letting me know
that I still have
one more day
with you
today.

I began to develop the idea of this poem in a afternoon. But I decided to wait until the nest morning to write in order for it to have a raw feeling. And this was what I came up with. I have to give MyApocolyptic for being some inspiration for me. Hope you all enjoy.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Wow. Thanks. That just made my entire day. Was not expecting such kindness today. I overwhelmed that you find this poem memorable. It was a tough one to write. But it has paid off. I'm happy that you're one of these people who appreciate this poem. Thank you with all my enitre heart. I'm happy you "relished this poem. ^u^

AugustSummerFling PLATINUM, Mylapore, Chennai, Other

'For you, a thousand times over.' - Hassan, The Kite Runner

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.

This poem was so beautiful. It brought out the sense of comfort and security you get with your loved one and the greatly relishing feel that you get when you know that you got one whole day ahead of you together with your loved one. With simple words and a cute scene you make this poem very memorable :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks so much Hannah. Hannah, right? I'm so happy you luve it. 

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Awww I love this poem! It was full of imagery and the repetition of "this morning" added extra flavor to this article. I loved the whole concept and its very happy, almost making me want to smile. Awesome job! :P

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I definitely will from now on, Christi. I'm Mckay but you can call me Mckay.

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Call me Christi :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I hope so.... Thanks. It's hard sometimes to capture the emotion you feel and transfer it onto paper. Quite challenging. But I think we all have managed. Thank you, Epic.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you with my whole heart. <3! This poem just talks about how a lover feels happy to have thier beloved with them for one more day. Life isn't guaranteed to us. And how beautiful a morning can be even if it might be like any other. And how the little things are what really count in the end. The smiling part amazes me as well. Glad you love it. Love, Mckay!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so much. I'm very flattered and happy you love this poem. It's super special to me. You've made my day with believing I may be terrific. It's hard; but I love writing; can't imagine my world without it. I'm happy my work can have such an unfathomable effect on someone. Thanks. ^u^

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Gracias. I'm loving the new name: Pimp. Queen. So you, Jade! XD 

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

You're welcome Mckay! Don't you want me to call you something else by the way,..I never really got what this meant.. "SOrrry" ...Hey I say It's one of your best cause I just like it THAT much  and I'm SO glad you did put that part in ,..that part was just AMAZINg... Love, Saphira.

Uhuh. Fine tuning the emotional feel of a work is hard, i always feel, when im done, that i havent gotten it right, notn*quite*, ever. It seems (at least, to ME, since i cant possibly know what you wanted this to sound like originally) that youve gotten very close to perfect.

NewYorkLove BRONZE, Delray Beach, Florida

"Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."-Marilyn Monroe
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous."-Coco Chanel

I loved it. You seem like a terrific poet and the imagery used in this poem is perfect!!! And congrats on editor's pick too X.

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

no problema!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

THANK YOU!!! ^u^ I'm so happy you read this. I appreciate it so much. Thanks. You've made my day even better.

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

This is so good!!!!! I love how each stanza has a theme, or it's own mood, and the way you describe this relationship is so sweet! Love it XD XD

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

HAHA. ^U^ This guy was somethiing, no? I loved the smile part too. I'm so happy I added it last minute. I'm super happy you loved this poem and found some quality in it. It means so much to me. You all have made my day by demonstrating such appreciation for this poem that I thought would be flop if I didn't convey the correct emotions. Thank you.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Awww. Thank you so ever much. I'm so gald you loved this poem. I do like the cheeks dimpling part too; I almost didn't add it till the end. I thought it would aff a sweet touch to it. Thank you for thinking it's one of my best yet. I did love writing this one. And to see how much poeple love it; I'm overwhelmed. ^u^

Awesome work. I'm not a coffee drinker, but my! Do i love the smell! I could smell it as I read and i was stuck in the odd place of wanting coffee and being immersed in lazy peace that just premiates the lines... I began to read and my thought was "uhg.... another poem about someone who slept with someone else....whoop de doo..." (in case you didnt catch my sarcasim, i dont tend to like those, they tend to be rather poor quality because they are either holding back ant dryin to keep it acceptable or cutting lose and saying things that no one wants to hear, or cliche) but i read it because i have generally enjoyed your work. Man, was I swept! Especially the smile... in that last part all you said was that the smile greeted you. But by that time you had already drawn me in. The effect of morning in poetry is often thelight airiness associated it, the effect of such a strong and plesent thing as coffee is to drew me in beyond siht and imersed me in smells. So, when it came to the smile, even thouh you said it so simply, i was really, truely feeling his smiles warmth, as if it was me he smiled at..... ahem. Yeah......

- Maya Angelou

Would you look at that poem! Amazing form...I mean I never knew free-verse could have such amazing structure.. I loves how vivid and alive it all was... The imagery,..Ah The orchids....LOved that part. I think you abosolutely deserved this Editor's Choice....And the last stanza, the  way it ened, the last line,..it was breathtakingly beautiful! Loved that.  This is probably one of your best yet ....And wait my most favourite part was " your cheeks dimpling"....Such s sweet yet straighforward poem.