i don't believe in counting stars | Teen Ink

i don't believe in counting stars

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

i.

i don’t believe in counting stars
—the fickleness!—
—the futility!—
—the betrayal!—
i believe in counting
the empty holes the stars leave
all too often for me to forget:
it helps as the years pass by

ii.

i don’t believe in counting
on anyone:
—the fickleness!—
—the futility!—
—the betrayal!—
i do believe in counting on
the likelihood of disappointment:
it helps as the years pass by

This poem is primarily inspired by Amiri Baraka's poem "Preface to a Twenty Volume Suicide Note". Also, I was feeling down and betrayed.

WriteOrWrong BRONZE, Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it. -Maura Stuard

I think strength can be gained by a beautifully sad line. Make the narrator explain his reason for it being better to not have expectations while simultaneously showing the readers that in effort to avoid potential betrayal or disappointment you end up being unhappy anyway. Break their hearts with naive self-'protection.' Hope that helps.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Wow! Thank you for all the love and appreciation. And yes, that wonderful poem did inspire me to write this. Merci, WriteorWrong! (And how do you think I should word those lines out? Someone else pointed it out too; but I'm not sure how should I do it.) 

OH MY GOSH! The second I read 'counting the empty holes the stars leave' I made a mental note to ask you if you had ever read "Preface to a Twent Volume Suicide Note!" THAT'S MY FAVORITE POEM! That is so superlative, cool, marvelous, amazing that it was your inspiration. As you can see I am going to be a little biased in my feedback- I adore this, obviously. I love how it's broken it two. I love the repeated three words. I love how relatable it is in the way it avoids expectations. I love how counting is used very similarly but somehow so cleverly different. What I wasn't crazy about was the lines 'it helps as the years pass by.' I like the idea behind that line but I would like it to e worded different. Magnifique! Incroyable! J'adore. Fantastic work. Sorry I wasn't much help with constructive feedback this time, I am a little too blinded by my love for the inspiration. I am so glad I randomly clicked on this poem!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks, Krasota. Sometimes pain creates the best in you. Though I wouldn't say this is my best work. Thanks.

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

I'm sorry that it took betrayal to write this poem, but it was AMAZING! :D Great job!  

bree_bree GOLD said...
bree_bree GOLD, Auburn, Kentucky

mistakes are made to be learned from.

Glad to help :) to help someone els improve in their poetry is an honor that im glad to have in helping you.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

You haven't overstepped. I appreciate the enthusiam you show for this poem. It means a lot to me. To see someone take time to try to better this poem. Not a lot of people will do that. But I appreciate that you do. I will keep on working on this poem with all the suggestions you've given me. Let's hope for the best. THANKS. 

bree_bree GOLD said...
bree_bree GOLD, Auburn, Kentucky

mistakes are made to be learned from.

Okay then ill be glad to help. feel free to return the favor with anything of mine that you have read some have been changed a little since i sent them in. okay in the first stanza you say empty holes, i thought that mabye a better word could be used to amp up the feeling like desolate holes or abandoned or mabye something like solitary, i feel like it would create a more emotional attachment to the reader with descriptive words. also the " all to often for me to forget" could go something like "all to often to be forgoton" i think that when generalised like that it allows the reader to further place themselves into the desired emotion. all the last line in both stanzas i felt could be something like "to help as the years pass by" but instead of just saying pass you could say something that would convey a sence of time like creep or rush or mabye trickle or tick. The only other thing i thought of would be to change the word likelyhood in the second stanza and replace it with somethng more detrimental like " the crushing weight" or shattering or mabye opressive. i know its alot and sorry if i have oversteped a boundry i know how ican be sometimes if it is a really personal poem. i hope my input has helped :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

It is a somber poem. I was feeling disappointed in lots of people. But fortunately, all is well now. Thank you, Liv, for the concern and the feedback. I'll keep rocking no matter what. At least I hope so.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you, MyApocalytic. I had a feeling you might like it. With the stars and hopelessness. Thanks. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I love constructive criticism and appreciate whole-heartedly. I mean it. If you wanna discuss this piece more, by all means, do so. I'd appreciate it like I said. Anything to make it better. Thank you.

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Awwwww Mckay, don't feel down or depressed, this is amazing!! Also, we all have those moments when that one special friend betrays you, trust me I have definitely been there. I like that you put in some punctuation and the fickleness part. Very creative. A little somber. Great work, keep rockin

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

Egads! This is fabulous! I am beside myself with fabulousness!

bree_bree GOLD said...
bree_bree GOLD, Auburn, Kentucky

mistakes are made to be learned from.

I hope that constructive critisism is cool i really like this peice but as soon as i read it i had so many ideas on what would make it more effective and jaring to the soul just little things that that i felt would deeper engrave the emotions i felt hiding behind the words. i really dont mean to offend it is a really good peice the way it is honestly, if you wouldnt have a problem with it i would really like to work on this peice with you :) i can totally relate plus i love stars :)