She Makes a Million Pointless Overtures | Teen Ink

She Makes a Million Pointless Overtures MAG

By Maddyo SILVER, New York, New York
Maddyo SILVER, New York, New York

She grasps
For the poignancy
She lacks.

She is the incarnation
Of a stereotype--

A mass of mascara
Doesn't make you
Banshee
Nor Erlking.

You're no
Tortured soul--

Stop pretending you
Make sacrifices to
Agni all night!

You fell asleep
At 8 –
I saw the A+
You got yesterday.

Death poems
Won't snare
The fear
You desire –
More caged raccoon
Than wicked witch of the
West Coast.

The only attention
Your twenty piercings
Get you –
Is irritated
Old ladies.

hayhaywhaley GOLD, Houston, Texas

"How could any step away from you ever be in the right direction?"

I loved your poem, the whole idea and concept was captured very well. It was enjoyable and funny. Very Val point as well. I applaud thee.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Regardless if this is for girls only, I think it's a general poem. Guys can be drama queens...or is that kings? And try to be preppy. I love the imagery, especially "the twenty piercings". It reminds me of Lisbeth Salander. I enjoy the comedy in this poem. I think you're absolutely talented. 

Zach_M said...
Alright, I red this, and yes I'm a male, and this was meant for a female audience I believe, but I couldn't help realizing how well structured your poem is. I love how you describe the annoying, obnoxious drama queen of our century. It's rather a very comical poem, and i love your humor. Great job :)

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

Really really good! I can name a few people just like this! And the last stanza made me laugh so hard :) In a good way! LOL Great job, and congratz on the Editors Choice!

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Hahahhahaaaa I LOVE THIS. Especially "more caged raccoon/Than the wicked witch of the West Coast" and "The only attention/Your twenty piercings/Get you--/Is irritated/Old ladies." SO UH-MAH-ZING! :D This should be sent to every girl who's personality can be described as either drama queen or preppy girl or a combination of both :D Excellent job!

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

This is really good and kinda bad azz XD love it.