Distance | Teen Ink

Distance MAG

By LindseyLemon SILVER, Jacksonville, Florida
LindseyLemon SILVER, Jacksonville, Florida

I feel like we are falling apart.
Somewhere deep inside of me, I know it’s true.
I don’t want to believe it –
I don’t want to believe we have drifted
because of the distance.
The way I speak to you and the way you speak to me
Our voices are clouded and clogged
With fake laughs and fake sympathy.
You ask me how my family is doing.
I say we’re getting through the hard times.
I ask you how’s school.
You say it’s better.
I feel a catch in my throat when you say you’re
busy for the next couple of weeks.
That’s too bad; I was hoping we could hang out.
You talk about your new friend like she is gold.
I have no one to talk about.
I feel anger and pain and I regret never answering
your calls and texts.
If only you could understand the way I was feeling,
But communication was lacking.
“I have to go, I’ll call you back …”
And something tells me you won’t.

Shugo Tsuki said...
Wow. I feel sorry for you. I don't think anyone should have to go through that. No matter what.

Hey I know how you feel. I lost a best friend who moved away and only then did I realize that I REALLY liked him. Thought it was to late. Now when we talk there's nothing to say, and he tells me of his girlfriend. Keep up the good work!! I loved it.

This poem is what I feel the rest of this world needs, someone who understands and is open enough to reveal what you've gone through. I feel sorry to say that I have been one of those people and thoroughly regret the loss of that friend that almost felt like a comforter that i could just let out on. Your poem was enthralling, benevolent, and, above all, very inspiring. Please look out for 'truth' the poem that I'm writing that was inspired by this amazing peice of writing.

paulina said...
I think this is something that everyone can relate to, and you have expressed it very neatly. I expecially like the ending.

Sapphira09 said...
Wow!!!!This is happening with me now a # of times it already has happened. Write whats on your mind cause now these days. A paper seems to help more than just holding it in. Trust me. Take it from someone who has had experience and is still dealing with the same feelings and thoughts.

tweedle dee said...
this was really sad. you know how to pull heartstrings. i went through this same thing two years ago, and again last year, except they weren't long distance friends, i saw them every day. and i went through it about 4 years ago and they were long distance but... you really touched my heart and i am so glad this was published. keep writtng your feelings!

Paige said...
A few months ago, my best friend and I were exactly like that. Now, it's getting better. Don't give up hope.

babii_sparx said...
awwww!dat soundz lyke me and my ex

Stormy15 said...
i just moved away from my hometown and had to leave all my friends so i guess what i'm trying to say is that i can relate, good work, people do really love when they can see themselves in a poem keep writing :)

Shawn said...
Sad and real. Thanks for publishing this!

Lolita said...
That was beautiful. Love how you just tell it how it is.

Redemption65 said...
I know what this feels like and the way you portrayed it was right on the money. If you keep writing about experiences like this you will touch the hearts of many.

Mickey said...
this poem is really sad but keep writing it is good...

akmmv2011 said...
OH my goodness!! i wish i coulda written something like that...i have a lot of long distance friends and its always like that. my best friends recently started dating this guy and thats exactly whats going on!! oh my gosh keep writing!! :)

RadChick23 said...
Omg! This is Great!

I love it.

I resently moved away from my bestfriend. and i feel like my world is empty without listening to his voice, and when i call its i gotta go, or so lame excuse. i try to back off and leave him alone. But its hrad.

I truly love this piece.

You always here how long distance relationships never last.

I want to believe diffrent, but this peice shows the how hard it can be.

That girl. said...
I love this. I know how this is, all too well. Keep writing your feelings, it touches those of us reading it.

:)

I feel that way with my best friend. i guess its time to move on. well... try to.

DesertFlower said...
Grrrrrrreat!