When I Blushed | Teen Ink

When I Blushed

April 25, 2014
By MadeleineMoreland GOLD, Corvallis, Oregon
MadeleineMoreland GOLD, Corvallis, Oregon
14 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fiction is a lie that tells us true things, over and over again"
-Neil Gaiman


I don’t remember the first time I blushed. I was hardly ever embarrassed as a kid- I was a bold little thing.
I blushed when I belly flopped of the high dive for the first time. So did the rest of me; I was sore for days.
I blushed when I was talking to my friend, only to turn around and whack myself in the head because I walked in to a pole.
I blushed when I had to kiss people I had never dreamed of kissing at a party for a game.
I blushed when I met Graham Salisbury. He was like a god to me and my brother.
I blushed when I was roller-skating at a park and then fell down with strangers watching.
I blushed when I got in trouble at school because my skirt was an inch too short. I thought it was stupid. I still think it’s stupid.
I blushed when I was sunburned. My whole body blushed for days.
I blushed when I met a cute guy. It’s just what girls do, and I still remember his name.
I blushed when I had my first slow dance. It was awkward and wonderful. But I don’t remember who it was.
I blushed when I felt pale by pinching my cheeks.
I blush as I write this and my friend stole my headband.


The author's comments:
This is a list poem that was inspired by one I read in a magazine. Poetry forever. <3