The Act of Missing | Teen Ink

The Act of Missing MAG

By SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Pasting blown-up photographs
on whitewashed uneven walls,
all torn up inside by halves
as this act of Missing calls.

What meager distraction is decor
To a heart so full to the brim.
Tangled memory strands sore
From so long holding it all in

Forbidding tears from falling hot
Hot, hard and fast onto this frown;
When eyes some serenity sought
Such treachery deserves a crown.

Don’t cage the rage, just let them fall
Saltwater being the cure to all

AprilNicoleJones BRONZE, New Castle, Indiana

"I write only because
there is a voice within me
that will not be still."
~ SYLVIA PLATH

(MY FORMER ACCOUNTS: Icantwrite & Punk.Snowflake)
Published poems from my former accounts:
- FRAIL HOPE (Icantwrite)
- YOURSELF (Punk.Snowflake)

This is very emotionally deep and I like that. I'm not usually a fan of rhyming poems, but this one captured me from beginning to end. Though the rhymes are kind of rough, I think the choppiness suits the poem's subject matter... feeling that way is not smooth sailing, after all. I especially like the first stanza, it's a perfect opening and wastes no time in setting the mood for the rest of the poem. Right away I felt a sense of wistful remembering, which made the rest of the poem that much easier to relate to. All in all, you did a very good job. Congrats on being published!

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

Amazing, Sapphira, just amazing. It's absolutely beautiful, very, very artistic... and I don't even know what to say. Seriously, amazing. (and good length, too). Congratulations, and thanks :)

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Okay, this one is much rougher than The Poem has No Title, but much easier to connect with, too, I think. One thing I wonder about is, did you mean to use the word 'hot' twice? I wondered if it was emphasis on the depth of the emotion, or if the word had carried over from the previous line. (I wish TI would make the area for displaying poems broader, it doesn't do the poem justice to for the reader.) But missing someone is something we've all been 'tangled up' in. My I recently learned a dear relative was diagnosed with cancer, and it's all I can do to keep myself from thinking of my fond memories of him. Maybe I'm just raw from thinking back from not WANTING to think of him, but the second stanza hit me. I had to read that one a couple times. You did marvelously, Saphira!

TheSkyOwesMeRain GOLD, Irvine, California

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments which take your breath away.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Awesome imagery! I love the fact that you refer to the photographs as "distraction", because even though they might last longer than memories in a physical sense, there really is no replacement for memory.