Trust | Teen Ink

Trust

By Be_Free PLATINUM, Longview, Texas
Be_Free PLATINUM, Longview, Texas

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion overall." -- The Masque of the Red Death, Edgar Allan Poe

I do not trust you . . . Not your beautiful smile that brightens my day. The same smile I used to see every morning when I woke up. The same smile that would turn my world upside down. The one that used to kiss me every time it got the chance.
I don’t trust your laugh . . . The laugh that would sound however I needed it to on any given day. The same laugh that used to melt my heart. I hate that it still does.
I’ll never trust your voice . . . The voice that used to sooth away all my pain, my discomfort, my fear, my sadness. The voice that would stop my heart from beating whenever it whispered into my ear.
Why should I trust your eyes? Those beautiful deep blue eyes. The eyes that I would drown in every time they looked into mine. The eyes that would convey every emotion you had, including your “love” for me.
Trusting you is too hard to do, because every time I let myself, my heart gets broken. And though I want to, I can’t stop running back to the one thing that causes all my pain. You make me love you. The sad thing is, that you know I do. More than everything.
I can’t even trust my memories of you . . . The memories of you holding me, kissing me, singing to me. Loving me. Thanks to you, I can’t trust myself. You left me. You weren’t there.

I can’t hear your laugh,
I can’t hear your voice, your singing,
I can’t see your face,
Can’t feel your kiss or your touch.

You left me, and I know it was for her. I am not stupid. Sad thing is, that girl is nothing like me. She absolutely hates me. You left me for what? Because we live in different cities? Because we couldn’t be close at every second for the first time in years? That could be considered a good reason. Or just stupid excuses at your cowardice to admit to me the truth. Excuses that hurt me even more every time they leave your lips. I actually feel stupid, because I believed in you. I believed every word you said to me, even the lies. Now I’ll never believe it again.

But it’s whatever right?