The Average List | Teen Ink

The Average List

By gerardway DIAMOND, Brooklyn, New York
gerardway DIAMOND, Brooklyn, New York

But you and Leslie like to hold hands and jump off of cliffs together into the great unknown. You two have a good relationship. I don’t personally know what that’s like, but I am given to understand it means you’re gonna land on your feet.

- R.S.

I wish I didn't care.

I wish I didn't collect everyone's thoughts about me into a cloud that hangs over my head, threatening to rain on a grey day.

I wish I could look you in the eye and memorize the palette of colors that are your irises because they have always felt too pretty for me.

I wish I could look at you without you looking at me back because I am not ready to know that you are seeing everything in me.

I wish I stood up for the girl who was s***-shamed on the N train, but I didn't want to die that day.

I wish I made some sort of passionate speech about feminism and how it is wrong to s***-shame to defend her instead of getting off at the next stop because I felt uncomfortable.

I wish I could openly talk about the social issues that bother me without doubting my own opinions and thinking that no one wants to hear about them anyway.

I wish I could construct beautiful prose and poetry like the girl who sits next to me in class and actually share what I wrote, but I care too much.

I wish I didn't.