Drought | Teen Ink

Drought

By AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

World is hot and dry
Water gate to warp open
Finally comes Rain

Combine a hot dry summer with a home-made wooden gate and what do you get?

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Now we can't STOP the rain. -_- haha

PJD17 SILVER said...
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois

I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

cool poem keep it up

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

I'm glad it makes more sense now. :)  Personally, I wish all haikus had explanations - I never understand them. lol

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

Thanks for explaining! It makes much more sense now! You should continue this! I like it!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks :)  The middle line is more of a personal thing.  We have a homemade wooden gate out to our barn, and when it is really hot, it shrinks and the latch gets stuck.  Sometimes we take the latch off, but sometimes we spray the gate with the hose until it swells and warps enough to unlock it. :)

apocalyptigirl BRONZE, Staunton, Virginia

"DON'T PANIC." ~from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

I like this haiku, especially the last line. The part I didn't get was the 2nd line: "Water gate to warp open" -- why "to warp"? That's a syntactical weirdness that confused the meaning.