Song of Youth | Teen Ink

Song of Youth

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

We love the world and live in sin
And do not mind what others say;
We sing our songs and drink our gin--
Neglect the Voice of Yesterday.
We smoke our weed till our heads spin;
It is all for play, all child's play--
But in this game no one can win--
Here's to the dead: the young and gay.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

If this is your anthem, then I think my work as a poet is accomplished. Can I retire now? Thank you so much. I appreciate all the love for this old, ancient bit of me. And yes, that poem was the inspiration for this piece. It's a poem I won't forget. And continues to inspire me. So happy you love it. 

migwam ELITE said...
on Sep. 3 2013 at 2:57 am
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

Oh my god. This is my anthem now. All around fabulous. Auuugh I love it, Mckay. I LOVE IT. Alsooo, "We jazz June/ We die soon"... one of my all-time favourites ;)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks, Liv. It was inspired by a poem from Gwendolyn Brooks. Dunno if you've heard from her. If you haven't, she's amazing. "We Cool"; somthing like that. Anywho, I was kind of disappointed with this photo. Dunno why. Glad you enjoyed this rebellious yet sad piece from my olden days. Wow, it was so long ago since I wrote this. I've changed so much as a writer, haven't I? Hopefully for better.

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

I like this! It has a cute, almost rebel feel to it. It's like your saying. "I am a teen and i do as i please". I like the picture. Here you are talking about weed and then we see pencils and its like little kid haha urged me laugh. This is cute. Keep rockin as always Mckay.