Qdoba Review | Teen Ink

Qdoba Review

By 0pfalzgraf BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
0pfalzgraf BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Over 4 years ago, as I waited for my sister to finish her weekly gymnastics practice, I thought about what to have for dinner. My mom gave me the daily options of McDonald’s, Taco Bell, Culver’s, and many more. I looked at her with disgust, an emotion I picked up being a new teenager in the world. I was tired of the routine fat-filled burgers and greasy chicken strips. She then threw the option, and in the moment the best option, of Qdoba.

I first sat in confusion and disbelief that my mom would mention a place so unknown and unpopular. I had her order for me as I sat with a grumbling stomach. She chose the craft two, which is a combination of two tacos with chips and queso. I got one taco filled with chicken and the other with ground beef, both with lettuce and cheese.

When you enter the door you notice a bearable sized line until you approach the smorgasbord. As your stomach grumbles with hunger and your mouth salivates with desire, you watch the workers prepare your food behind a glass wall. The variety is endless, from beans to vegetables to grains. The atmosphere of Qdoba is upbeat and bright. As calming music played in the background I observe my surroundings. The interior is updated and clean, the perfect look for passerbyers in need of a quick bite. The soda machine is like no other, giving dozens of options with just a few clicks of a screen.

My expectations of the food were very low, since Qdoba was new ground for me and I am not open for new ideas. I opened my mouth widely, making sure to get every component of the taco. I started with the ground beef. I chewed and chewed until all the flavor was mixed. I was not surprised with my dislike of the taco since I expected it to taste bad from the beginning. The meat was over seasoned and cold. The lettuce looked as though it was sitting out for hours and the cheese was clumped over the top. This completely lowered my expectations and I lost hope for the rest of the meal.

Giving Qdoba a second chance in the same day, I tried the chicken tacos next. To my surprise, the taste was nothing I expected. The chicken was perfectly warm and flavorful. The texture of it together was hard enough to not be mush and soft enough to counteract the crunchy shell. The lettuce was fresh and crunchy as well, the perfect addition to the soft chicken.

As I ask other people about their opinions of Qdoba, I hear similar ideas to my own. The meats offered are occasionally cold and over seasoned. From past experience, the shells are sometimes stale. The lettuce is occasionally shriveled and not fresh. I have recently been getting tacos with a shortage of chicken and a surplus of cheese. Despite these infrequent bad days, the majority of experiences are adequate and appealing to everyone.

I always get cravings of chicken tacos and queso and I don’t hesitate to go back for more and more. With the overwhelming sensation of finding a new fast food meal, I thank my mom for making me try this new place. To this day I commonly choose Qdoba as a quick dinner when my day is filled with activities.