BeReal, Real Review | Teen Ink

BeReal, Real Review

By kathryn-ortmeier SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
kathryn-ortmeier SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

The app BeReal is exactly what the name  implies—reality.If your wish is to become an influencer you can find a different social platform like TikTok and Instagram. BeReal is for the person who wants to casually participate in keeping up with close friends seeing their unstaged lives. 

BeReal is for a small circle of friends. On my account I only have a handful of followers, all people I have talked to, no friends of friends or people I have never seen before. If you were to scroll through my BeReal feed, it is usually me heading to soccer practice, sitting in bed, or a cute flick of my boyfriend's cat. This is the same for the people I am following; they post goofy pictures that the app allows you to react to, no-filter.

The nofilter aspect  and immediacy makes the app exciting. When you get the alert on your phone, you only have two minutes to capture an image. The app never tells you when the picture will have to be taken, it’s impossible to stage. It could be while you’re in class (sorry Mrs. McCann) or while laying in bed. Same goes for your friends. On BeReal, I am fully comfortable with sharing random, unfiltered moments with my followers because they do the same; there is no pressure for looking your best self that day—it’s just fun. You are unable to see your friend’s images until you post your own. By doing so, it is forcing you to let go of the pressure of posting something you might not post on instagram or snapchat. 

BeReal is a really fun way for us to keep in touch with your close friends, and it's the best insight into what your  life is like day to day. It is a cute way of keeping in contact with someone that might not live near you or you only see a few times in the year. The only downfall to the BeReal app, is that it does have small privacy concerns. The app automatically posts your location with your photo unless you disable it in your settings, meaning anybody befriended can see exactly where you were when you posted, similar to snapchat in the snapmap aspect. Your pictures you take on the app accumulate. On the homescreen it shows you every picture you’ve ever taken on BeReal. This is a concern since the app has access to the data. On the flip side, the app does promise not to sell your data to anyone. Another downside is, I have been having some trouble accessing my other friends' posts once I have posted my picture, but It could just be a temporary app glitch. 

Overall I would highly recommend this app to anyone having trouble with the controversial standards of social media today. I have personally struggled with the pressure to post perfect pictures and keep up with my peers, but it is exhausting. BeReal you don’t even have to show your face, just your personality. 

I am an avid user of social media.