On the Come Up | Teen Ink

On the Come Up

By PK725 SILVER, Santa Monica, California
PK725 SILVER, Santa Monica, California

Bri Jackson dreams of becoming a world-famous hip-hop artist. After all, it runs in the family. Even though her dad, the rapper Lawless, was killed before scoring a record deal, his fame lives on in her neighborhood of Garden Heights.

Bri wants to become famous rapping… needs to become famous. Not only does she want to follow her (and her dad’s) passion, but her family needs money. Desperately.

When school security guards attack her on the basis that she’s black, Bri knows it’s time to stand up for herself. She uses her most powerful skill– her ability to write and rap– to express the issue. When the song goes viral, Bri starts rising in fame. However, she notices that the media stereotypes her. They distort her song lyrics, and make her appear hostile and vicious. Before society labels her, Bri will have to decide: will she fulfill the persona society expects in order to make money, or will she stick to her morals and show the world the true Bri?

My favorite part of the novel was, undoubtedly, Bri herself. Though she hides herself behind a wall of anger, the raw way she feels emotions helps uncover the person underneath: a lonely girl, still afraid of the world’s cruelties towards her community. Thomas is one of few others who is able to flesh out a protagonist so thoroughly, and Bri exemplifies this. Her love and talent in rapping are apparent; Bri’s verses help her gain confidence, and, in turn, help her feel closer to a father she never knew. Though this is a rags-to-riches tale, Bri’s achievement is all her own.

In Thomas’ other novel, The Hate U Give, we get to see a very different view of Garden Heights through Starr Carter’s eyes. However, Starr’s goal is the same as that of Bri: to end violence and discrimination against African-Americans across the nation. On the Come Up does so beautifully, all while recounting an uplifting message: anyone can achieve their dreams if they’re passionate and brave enough to try.