scyhte book review | Teen Ink

scyhte book review

November 27, 2019
By Anonymous

‘’Thou shalt kill’’ is the first commandment in the commandments of scythedom from the dystopian novel scythe by Neil Shusterman. Scythe is a great book about the ‘’future’’ its completely unexpected just like the real future is. No one knows what to expect from the future And the book also carries a great message about death. death comes in many different ways and times. It is very unexpected and you can’t control it And sometimes you have to make hard decisions.


I really like the characters the author chose for this book they are the most perfect characters for this book. Rowan a high school kid ends up getting dragged into helping a kid that is about to be gleaned. Citra is also so amazing a young teenager at home with her parents when the scythe comes in to eat with them. Citra kinda loses it towards the scythe and tells him to get it over with already or just let. ‘’ well the meal is done so you can leave’’ this was a very bold move no one ever dared to speak to a scythe like that. And scythe faraday is also the perfect character for this amazing book he is the perfect scythe to take on Citra and Rowan. He gleans just like the other scythe but he does it because he feels it is his duty not because he enjoys it like Goddard does. And scythe faraday ios a scythe that believes the scythe should be like the first scythe the world had and be murderers like Goddard.


The laws and/or law enforcers are a little strange in this book but I think it suits the book. They have this thing kinda like our google only way better they call it the thunderhead. The thunderhead knows and sees everything and it can talk to the people as long as they are not a scythe. The thunderhead is the law basically people do as they are told and the thunderhead stays happy with them. And then there is also the scythedom. The scythedom is the whole scythe organization type of deal. The have the old blades scythe as the leaders and then they are the ones that create the test for the newbie scythes like citra and rowan. The thunderhead and the scythedom are the two that have jurisdiction over crimes and/or dead bodies.


Death comes in many different times and ways. Which is kinda why they need revival centers like they have in the book. In the book when you die they have ambu drones come pick you up and bring you to the revival center. At the revival center, they can make a dead person live again. If they die three to four days later they are good as new. The revival center can not re live everyone. If a scythe ‘gleans’’ someone then they can not by law be revived. If someone dies and gets torn apart they cant either be revived. The revival center would be a handy thing to have and it just goes well with the book.


We all would love to know what our future brings and how much time we have left on earth but that is a mystery to everyone. This author chooses the perfect characters, perfect law/ enforcers and everything else just goes well with the book. I would rate this book a 4 out of 5. I really loved this book.