Wuthering Heights | Teen Ink

Wuthering Heights

"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte is a book that combines tragedy with romance. The story begins with a family with two children: Hindley and Catherine, who had adopted another child and named him Heathcliff. However, Heathcliff's childhood was a sorrowful memory; he was bullied by Hindley and cheated by Catherine after they had fallen in love. Eventually, the marriage of Catherine and Edgar Linton, a noble and mannered man, triggers Heathcliff's revenge, and a few years later he becomes a rich and wealthy man. But revenge does not satisfy, and instead it makes people disgusted by Heathcliff. In the style of a tragedy, the story ends with the tormented Heathcliff's death.
       Emily Bronte includes a lot of violent actions and scenes in the story, which startled me as I read. Violence has been a theme throughout the whole book, and Emily Bronte has made each violent scene dreadfully realistic and detailed. Characters in the book quarreled and fought a lot. She especially writes the striking characteristics of violence in Heathcliff that made him into a wretched devil and detested by readers. These aspects of violence may be related to Emily Bronte's personalities, who was introverted but still had her own strong opinions.
       Even though a lot of violence occurs in the story, the story flows through the stream of gentle romance. The two main sources of the romantic atmosphere are the love between Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw and the one between Cathy and Hareton. The love between Heathcliff and Catherine has run through the whole story, acting as the spark in the woods that triggered the fire of tragedy. They fell in love when they were adolescents and the love they shared remained in Heathcliff till his deathbed. "My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as an own being," is a quote from Catherine Earnshaw that also reveals her love to Heathcliff. Through twists and turns, her love still belongs to Heathcliff. However, Catherine's love may be understood in another way: she loved Heathcliff again only because Heathcliff become wealthier than Edgar Linton, and that she is a snobbish and hypocritical woman. However, I believe this is only part of her character development, and that Catherine returned to her good nature and discovered her true love.
Another source of romance is the love between Cathy and Hareton, in which Heathcliff sees that they are like the silhouettes of Catherine and himself. Cathy, Catherine's daughter, is just like Catherine but without the depressed look. Likewise, Hareton is just like small Heathcliff, being treated unfairly by Heathcliff himself during his childhood.
       The language of the book is not straightforward, at least not to me, with a lot of complex sentences and advanced vocabulary. However, the language is not flowery and instead is immersive. The characters are created excellently by Emily Bronte, especially the character of Heathcliff: a good natured man who received hatred from family and love and became a wretched monster to revenge. In conclusion, the story is very good at describing the romance and complex emotions experienced when loving someone, along with the obstacles on the journey to find true love. Therefore the novel is distinguished from other novels by its dramatic plots and vivid details.

Hello, I'm Chloe from China. I am a 9th grade student and this is the first time I wrote a book review for an English book. :)