The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

January 7, 2022
By rhe3663 SILVER, Natick, Massachusetts
rhe3663 SILVER, Natick, Massachusetts
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Outsiders by S.E Hinton is definitely the most casual, genuine book I’ve ever read for lack of a better word. Although this book was written by a 15-16 year old teenager, it surprised me with so many different twists and turns, always advancing the plot and keeping me on the edge of my seat. Once you pick it up, there’s no going back.

Set the scene. It’s 1965 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and the town is divided into two socioeconomic classes. On the West side of town are the upper-class rich kids, known as the Socials, or Socs for short. On the East side, the Middle-Lower class Greasers takes over, known for their long greasy hair, where the orphaned narrator Ponyboy Curtis comes in. They are in a violent rivalry, and members of a class often “jump,” or attack, the other class. This can be one-on-one all the way to “rumbles,” where tens of Greasers and Socs charge at each other. 

It all started when Ponyboy Curtis and his best friend Johnny spent the night at the park, when a bunch of Socs saw and jumped them. Everything went uphill from there. They became an overnight sensation, turning from infamous crime pairs and hiding from police to juvenile delinquent heroes. Everything goes by fast but steadily, which is why it always keeps me on the edge of my seat.

The Outsiders is full of action, everlasting bonds, and self sacrifice. It’s also full of symbols, including the division of social classes and Johnny’s saying of “Stay gold, Ponyboy.” For anyone in the double digits, I would strongly recommend this book.