Quick Take on The Davinci Code | Teen Ink

Quick Take on The Davinci Code

By kathryn-ortmeier SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
kathryn-ortmeier SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

While reading the book The Davinci Code, Brown involves you in the investigation. You are trying to solve the riddle of Sauniere’s death along with Robert Langdon, examining every  intricate detail in the case. While the codes and history may be confusing at first, Brown gives you enough information to understand the thoughts behind the main character’s actions , launching you into the story. 

The book starts with a police investigation and a mysterious crime scene— a dead body sprawled across the floor with cryptic writing surrounding famous works of art. By including the fast paced police investigation and runaway fugitives, you realize that there is a sense of urgency, the riddle must be solved quickly. A riddle that is quite enjoyable to follow.

The initial setting takes place in the Paris Louvre, with following locations set in many of the historical places in both Britain and France. Introducing a long classic conspiracy theory of secret societies and ancient relics, Brown introduces the controversies long circulating the christian faith. Some aspects may be sensitive to some readers, like the gory practices of the church and the violence surrounding the grail. 

Dan Brown somehow manages to cram century long mysteries into one novel, with the treasure hunt to the holy grail. He uses symbolism, suspense, romance, and action to captivate the reader with a story that seems simple at first glance, but much more intricate as the details seem to come together. The theme of femininity materializes with all that develops within the investigation. The reader is aware of all that stresses Langdon, the consequences at stake, and the multiple antagonists who sought after the grail. How the intricate web of all that adds suspense in the novel falls into place is nothing short of pure genius and a well thought out author. Once the climax of the novel hits you, everything that seemed uncertain will come to light. Though the ending isn’t as suspected, and the location of the holy grail is still uncertain, readers are left with relief and happiness for Langdon and Sophie. 

The book is a trip, almost like you are traveling across Europe. A trip that I ended up binging and reading within a span of 2 days. I highly recommend it. I would even  re-read this book to uncover mysteries I missed and history I have not yet learned. Brown packs this book with so much knowledge that I am sure I have left stones of the plot unturned. His cryptic novel and decode that of which I have not. It will leave you rethinking the censorship of all of Europe.  

Read this book. It's good.