The intentional death of Macbeth | Teen Ink

The intentional death of Macbeth

August 14, 2022
By exuseetim GOLD, Boca Raton, Florida
exuseetim GOLD, Boca Raton, Florida
11 articles 4 photos 0 comments

In the play Macbeth, we have witnessed many different characters and unexpected transformations. Macbeth, who appears to be the most loyal, faithful, and trusting kinsman and warrior of king Duncan, eventually conducts the murder of the king. We are still seeing him going to the abyss, killing more and more people to pay off his evil deeds as he contends there is no other way for him to return. It makes me ponder how to identify the true nature of someone, not the seemingly trustful appearance, and why the tragedy of Macbeth will happen. We don’t want to trust the serpent and miss the flower, but it seems like humans are born to be deceiving, selfish and greedy. Personally speaking, I support and credit Macbeth’s courage to put his vaulting ambition into practice, pursuing his dreamlike throne. Just after the murder of Duncan, Macbeth becomes fearful of others taking over his power, sleepless and illusioned. It seems justice will come back one day, just like what Macbeth says, “bloody instructions to plague the inventor,” but he still fails to refuse Lady Macbeth’s agitation, ambition, and desire. At this point, I think of Macbeth as an insane, abandoned, self-deceptive coward who is never brave enough to refuse exterior attractions. What amazes me here is that my thoughts prioritize my mind, claiming what Macbeth has done is considered wrong. Under the civilized society, it seems like we have many limitations, and we are raised to have the common sense of right and wrong, never genuinely considering why it is right and wrong. Admittedly, Macbeth’s deed is deemed evil and unjustified, and he will get punishments just like what Shakespeare wrote. At the same time, Shakespeare constructs a character who defies his conscience and chooses to be with his ambition, regardless if it is immoral. If we come back to the similarity between Macbeth and human beings, it is much more likely that each of us will find a second Macbeth in ourselves. As for me, I am aware of the consequences of playing too many games during my junior high school, and I defend myself against every kid who plays games and Why cannot I play them. This seems ridiculous as my statement has many defects, but unintentionally, I am sided with Macbeth, and I think everyone has similar experiences. These experiences are not accidental but inevitable since I contend it is human nature to realize erroneous actions but choose to go with them. Shakespeare has constructed the epitome of human beings, human nature, through the character Macbeth and to some extent, he represents us and reveals the shared nature of humans.