A newspaper article inspired by Pullman's Northen Lights | Teen Ink

A newspaper article inspired by Pullman's Northen Lights

By Ana_K PLATINUM, Nyc, New York
Ana_K PLATINUM, Nyc, New York

It is impossible to break the law. We can only break ourselves against the law.

In Svalbardin the North, yesterday at noon, two bears stepped into the ring of death to fight for the crown. The king of the Panserbjørn, His Highness, Iofur the Great was persuaded to fight in single combat against the exiled and forgotten Iorek. We are yet to know who had persuaded the King to go into single combat with an exile, which is unorthodox and not a part of their tradition. Eyewitness had seen little girl, with dirty blond hair who seems to be close and affectionate with Iorek the exile, could she be the child that brought down the fall of this tyrannic ruler? We are yet to know. All that we know is that Iorekwon single-handedly, though bloodied and bruised, he managed to bring this powerful King down and kill him mercilessly.

One of the warrior bears, a spectator to this scene talks to me, vividlydescribing this brutal murder. ‘Iron clanged on iron, teeth crashed on teeth, breath roared harshly, feet thundered on the hard-packed ground. The snow around was splashed with red and trodden down for yards into a crimson mud.’

All who watched were extremely shocked by Iorek winning this battle single-handedly. Though he is infamously known for getting exiled due to his violence, as he murdered another bear, the bears confess that they had never expected him to win. Iorek’s armour was battered and dented which looks like Iorek hadn’t cared for it and that it was worn out. Onthe other hand, Iofur’s was elegant and smooth, as if it had been bedazzled by the finest jewels in the world. These two looked like they were from the polar opposites of the world. Iofur was much stronger and had all the power on his side, while, on the other hand, Iorek had just arrived from traveling throughout the North, making him weary, and on top of that, he was an exile meaning he had no power! It was unanimous that the bears thought that their King would win with the better armour, strength and power. It is true that it seemed that the King had got the upper hand in this mortal combat several times. Inhabitants, living miles away claim to have heard the ground shaking, a consequence due to the collisions between these two strong bears! This just goes onto prove that this battle was meant to fight till death. Before the bears fought, they had pronounced a bet to all the bears watching the fight: if the exile, Iorek would win, he would become King, if the King would win, he would remain King forever. Now that the exile Iorek has succeed in this duel, he is rightfully an exile no more but a King, king of the Panserbjørn. But at the end, Iorek had found Iofur’s Achilles heel, and he stuck it with all his remaining strength. The battle ended with anear-piercing roar from the bear’s Kingan'd cheers echoed in the air, it was a happy time for the bears. They finally found their true selves. The King was ruthlessly slaughtered, but this was the bear’s tradition, after the king was dead, his heart would be eaten, which happened too.

Another bear watching elaborates this scene to us, “Then there was acclamation, pandemonium, a crush of bears surging forward to pay homage to Iofur’s conqueror.’ This shows us that the bears watching had not protested against Iorek becoming King as they quickly paid homage. Its seems that Iorek the great and powerful King is now taking action to restore the bears to where they used to be before Iofur began his tyrannical rule. When Iofur ruled, his commands were based on what humans would do: he started a government and started removing the bears’ tradition, adapting it to the human culture. This warped culture was immediately abolished by Iorek who ordered the bears be no more human, but true, armoured bears. ‘Every single badge and sash and coronet were thrown off at once and trampled contemptuously underfoot, to be forgotten in a moment,’ comments a bear, once an advisor to the late King Iofur as he describes the show when the King ordered them to remove their human adaptations.

Its seems that these actions are changing the bear’s lives for the better. There is a saying that the difficulty comes before the good, this most certainly describes Iorek’s life, filled with unhappiness and depression due to his exile previously, to becoming the King, to take his rightful place in leading the bears, presently. Iorek is an inspiration to anyone, to keep on going, to be determined and head-strong, and finally, things will go the way you want to.