Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds | Teen Ink

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds

By desii4424 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
desii4424 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

“One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.” - Shannon L.

Do you believe revenge is the answer to everything? The angry emotion of vengeance that prompts someone to damage or hurt other people in reprisal for wrongdoing. I know revenge isn't the answer but for will and his neighborhood it was no option.  

In this book, the main character is William Holloman, a 15 year old boy. He was taught to follow 3 rules. Don't cry, don't snitch, and always get revenge. The rules weren't intended to break. The broken were supposed to follow them. 

Shawn will’s brother was dead after returning home to get his mother's special soap for her eczema, he was shot in the street. Everyone did what they were trained to do. Duck and hid themselve tight. Will is aware that he must shoot Carlson Riggs, whom he believes killed Shawn, using the gun Shawn left hidden in the middle drawer in his room in order to get revenge for Shawn's death. Will soon ends up in a elavator with his hand holding the gun to look for Rigg. 

The book is really worth reading.You can read the story in one sitting because it is short. I can relate to it because my family has also gone through a personal tragedy, and you can imagine how crushed and grieved everyone was. In the book Will sees a ghost that he knows from his life that has passed away. Each stop he made on the elavator came a ghost. If you want to know who the ghosts were and why they came to him, read the book. You wont regret it. 

The book is great.