Never Never by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher | Teen Ink

Never Never by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher

May 2, 2023
By ElliDiDonato SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
ElliDiDonato SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine one morning you realize all of your memories are gone. You forget the people you love most in the world: your significant other, best friends, parents, and siblings. You forget all the moments you shared with these people and details about them– even their names. But even more frightening… What is your name? 

This is what happens to Charlie and Silas in the novel Never Never by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher. Charlie and Silas had been family friends since they could walk and have been in love since the age of fourteen. But now, they are strangers. Suddenly, all of their memories are gone, and now they must work as a team to learn the truth about their relationship and what got them into this situation.The questions from Charlie and Silas arise: why did this happen to us, HOW did this happen to us, and most importantly how can we fix this? As the novel progresses they learn more about who they used to be, which makes them wonder why they were even together in the first place. 

lI was very amused by the mood of the novel which included both an ominous and romantic feel. Hoover and Fisher include many small twists throughout the novel in a unique style of writing that pulled me right in and kept me engaged for the entire duration of the book. Characterization in the novel is another thing that got my attention. Both Charlie and Silas cannot remember who they are, so as the reader, you are learning who they are (and used to be) right along with them. This is so unique compared to other romance novels that I have read due to the slight twist of mystert and compelled me to pick up the novel time and time again. 

This novel works in an alternating point of view from the viewpoints of both Silas and Charlie, which is essential to learning the feelings of both characters as they work their way through this unbelievable situation.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Never Never from the very first page. Shortly after opening the book for the first time I was hooked into the story of Charlie and Silas. It truly feels as if you are uncovering their past right alongside them as they work through the mystery of why they lost their memories. The plot maintains a quick pace while Hoover and Fisher give just the right amount of detail in each chapter. Many romance novels in the past have not intrigued me like this one has. It is outstandingly creative as it is a romance novel with just the right twist of mystery.  Even if you are not drawn to romance novels, give this novel a try– I think all readers could genuinely enjoy it. Read the story of Charlie and Silas in the novel Never Never to discover which is more terrifying: forgetting or remembering.