PLEASED Analysis: “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge” | Teen Ink

PLEASED Analysis: “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”

By HarleyLiu SILVER, Irvine, California
HarleyLiu SILVER, Irvine, California

Ambrose Bierce depicted this short story, “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge” by using the (D) stream of consciousness. He successfully attracts readers with multitudinous thoughts and feelings. The story is set (E) during the Civil War in northern Alabama.
      The narrator is told by a (S) third-person perspective narrator, describing how (P) a respective farmer, Peyton Farquhar gets tricked by a federal spy to destroy the Owl Creek Bridge. Unfortunately, he got caught by the federal soldiers and was ready to be hanged on the bridge. He imagined that he escaped from the hang and gets back to his home hugs his wife, it turns out all of these are his fantasy right before “his body, with a broken neck, swung gently from side beneath the timbers of the Owl Creek Bridge.” The short story’s purpose is to warn (A) people to be aware of their mental space that might be taken over reality, which in this case the author is trying to tell no one can escape from death.
      This short story is mainly aimed at (L) the readers who want to escape from reality, forming a substantial consciousness rather than make progress in reality. Bierce tries to make the stream of consciousness shift between reality and virtuality (E) using the tone of bitter and ironic. He truly believes that he escapes because his consciousness tells him “He knew that the rope had broken, and he had fallen into the stream.” But he cannot fake pain “His neck ached horribly; his brain was on fire; his heart, which had been fluttering faintly, gave a great leap, trying to force itself out at his mouth.”

School essay depict and analyse an occurrence at Owl Creek bridge, using the strategy of PLEASED. Hope this might help people to understand this article.