Fearless Souls: Unveiling the True Courage of the Human Spirit | Teen Ink

Fearless Souls: Unveiling the True Courage of the Human Spirit

July 11, 2023
By Sophie-Lopie567 BRONZE, Newheaven, Connecticut
Sophie-Lopie567 BRONZE, Newheaven, Connecticut
2 articles 31 photos 0 comments

Fairy tales have been a beloved part of childhood for generations, offering children a chance to explore magical worlds and let their imaginations run wild. For many children, listening to these stories is the highlight of their day as they curl up on a comfy couch and lose themselves in the adventures of brave heroes saving kindhearted princesses. However, beyond their entertainment value, fairy tales also play an essential role in shaping children's beliefs and values unconsciously. As children grow, they begin to understand that fairy tales often depict a world where physical strength and toughness are highly valued. The brave hero is usually depicted as a muscular, formidable man who wields a sword and vanquishes evil monsters. This can lead to the mistaken belief that courage is solely defined by physical strength and toughness. However, true courage encompasses much more than just physical prowess; it requires mental fortitude and the inner strength to persevere through adversity. Courage involves knowing what is right and being determined to see it through to the end, even when knowing goals will not be reached since facing difficult circumstances.

In the novel To Kill a Mockingbird, Atticus is a shining example of true courage, demonstrating that one must stand up for what is right although knowing there is adversity in advance. Initially, Jem considers Atticus physically weak until Miss Maudie introduces Atticus as “Ol’ One-Shot (Lee 101)”. As a result, it is clear that Atticus does not enjoy showing his powerful side to others and does not consider merely physical strength equal to true courage or something proud to show. Subsequently, Atticus, a lawyer, is in charge of Tom Robinson’s case against the wrong accusation of raping a white girl. Unfortunately, Maycomb is a place with severe discrimination towards black people. Scout and Jem are abused in town only because their father defends a black person. During the trial, the black is only allowed in the “colored balcony” (Lee 166). These all suggest that treating black people with anything better than frigidity and disdain is an unutterable offense to most whites. White people see themselves as superior to the dark-skin race, believing that black people do not deserve to work or live the same way as they do. Hence, winning Tom’s case is genuinely problematic since people on the jury are more or less racist. Knowing there is little chance of winning the case, Atticus still claims that “simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason for us not to try to win” (Lee 78). This emphasizes Atticus's determination to fight for justice, despite the daunting challenges and long-standing prejudice against African Americans. Atticus knows that Tom Robinson, a black man accused of a crime he did not commit, faces an uphill battle in court due to racism. Despite this, Atticus believes it is his duty as a lawyer and a moral human being to give Tom the best possible defense and to fight for his innocence. The quote highlights Atticus's belief that even though the struggle for civil rights and racial equality has been going on for over a century, it is not an excuse to give up or stop fighting for what is right. During the trial, he even loosens his clothes, and his face begins to perspire, two things that never happened before, according to Scout and Jem. It is unquestionable that Atticus strains all his nerves and is exhausted with all his strength to persuade the jury. Accordingly, Atticus is a living example of a courageous man who does not let hardships stop him from trying hard for the right decision.    

Another example of true courage in action is Duffy Charlie, a young girl diagnosed with cerebral palsy who has lost feeling in her left leg. While she may not fit the typical portrayal of a firm, muscular hero from fairytales, there is no denying that she embodies true courage and bravery. She refused to give up on her dream of returning to the softball field, even when doctors considered it impossible. Duffy’s dream had always been her motivating force; thus, abandoning it was not the right choice, despite facing numerous setbacks, including experiencing muscle tightness so severe that it was described as feeling like a “wrung-wet towel” (Marshall). Coping with this level of physical discomfort can be psychologically challenging even for adults, yet Duffy’s remarkable resilience and determination shone through. Despite her young age, she exhibited a strength of spirit that surpassed that of many elders. Her unwavering belief in her potential was evident in her daily leg exercises, which she turned into joyful games even in the most desperate situations. Her creativity and optimism were truly inspiring to witness. Overall, Duffy’s story is a testament to the reality of true courage. Her persistence, creativity, and unwavering determination are living definitions of courage in the face of adversity.

 In the end, courage is about standing up for what is right, even when the aim is seemingly impossible due to difficulties, and never giving up on one's beliefs. It is about having the mental strength to overcome fear and adversity and the determination to see things through. Both encounter overwhelming obstacles – entrenched racism in To Kill a Mockingbird, and physical limitations in the case of Duffy – Atticus and Duffy demonstrate true courage through their ongoing struggles for their goals despite knowing how unlikely they will achieve them. Instead of physical strengths, they have revealed the more fundamental and respectful qualities: determination, a fearless attitude against adversity, and a persevering heart committed to striving for good causes.

 

 


Works Cited
Lee, Harper. To Kill a Mockingbird. McIntosh and Otis, Inc., 1960.

Marshall, John. “Cerebral palsy doing little to slow down determined Duffy.” AP News.

apnews.com/article/sports-health-softball-cerebral-palsy-2503b9a1a4dc6596f0ff659cbc59424b


The author's comments:

This article will compare two individuals: one from the classic novel "To Kill A Mockingbird" and the other from a recent news story by AP News.