Comparative review of | Teen Ink

Comparative review of

By polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other
polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Both novels were remarkably courageous for their authors to release, as they fearlessly tackled mental health issues that were considered taboo at the time. By doing so, these novels provided a much-needed voice to countless men and women who struggled to express their inner pain. The impact was profound, initiating vital conversations and enabling people to speak openly about their own struggles, ultimately reducing the burden of shame often accompanying such challenges. Both works can be seen as potent social critiques, shedding light on the psychological consequences of societal norms in a much more conservative setting. During the 1950s, discussing mental health openly was understandably difficult, given the lack of enlightenment and support for those in need. Treatments like lobotomy and shock therapy were employed, often with limited effectiveness and significant risks. The portrayal of depression in each novel differs, with distinct triggers and causes for the characters' suffering. In "The Bell Jar," Esther is depicted as a talented and ambitious individual, but she struggles with self-doubt and a fear of being confined by societal expectations. Her struggle to find her true passion and identity leads to inner conflict, heavily influenced by gender roles and societal pressures. The fig tree metaphor vividly captures her overwhelming indecision and the fear of making choices that could lead to regret and missed opportunities in the future, reflecting her journey from adolescence to adulthood.

On the other hand, Holden's depression in the other novel results from a sense of alienation, disillusionment, and a perception of phoniness in the adult world. He longs for authenticity and genuine connections while avoiding shallow interactions with people he deems insincere. Holden's emotions are beyond his control. His depression stems from an inability to conform his idealistic views to the complexities of reality. In "The Bell Jar," Esther's depression is influenced by her father's death, which acts as a catalyst, exacerbating her already fragile state. While not solely responsible for her depression, her childhood experiences have made her more vulnerable to life's challenges. Various triggers push her into depression after her time in New York.

Both novels courageously tackle mental health issues, sparking crucial conversations and providing solace to those who felt unheard. They serve as powerful critiques of societal norms and shed light on the psychological impacts such norms can have on individuals. Through these narratives, readers gain a deeper understanding of the complexities of mental health and the significance of compassion and support for those facing such challenges.

I've developed a keen interest in reading novels that delve into mental health issues and explore the growth of characters as they navigate their struggles. In today's world, it is crucial, more than ever, to focus on mental health issues. Depression among teenagers is a prevalent concern that requires our attention and understanding.