The Significance of Importance | Teen Ink

The Significance of Importance

By alinaxu BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
alinaxu BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey

The Significance of Importance

Students are polite to teachers because it is the right thing to do, while a prisoner is polite to a guard because they want something in return. When a man is introduced to a businessman, they may act polite at first to be kind, with no knowledge of their importance. However, if they learn that they’re very well known or have wealthy relations, the man will feel more driven to offer more hospitality and demonstrate his own importance in order to reach his goals. Being driven by the idea of prosperity and spreading of good news about Phaeacia, Book Eight of The Odyssey, written by Homer and translated by Robert Fagles, has a strong stance on civilities of society and respect for guests and hosts. The book suggests that mortals are more careful about what they say and do when they are aware of someone of a higher importance. Phaeacians are shown attempting to lift Odysseus’s spirits and to convince him to speak greatly about their home when he sails.

In the beginning of the book, Athena gathered all the men in Phaeacia, she encouraged them to head toward the meeting grounds. There, a bard sang stories about the famous deeds of fighting heroes. When Odysseus heard the famous harper sing, he wept into his cape, recalling all of his past experiences and the pain he feels because he is unable to go back home. Seeing this, Alcinous feels compelled to stop the bards singing: “By now we’ve had our fill of food well-shared … Now out we go again and test ourselves in contests,” (Line 116, 118). He then continues to suggest that Odysseus should inform his friends about how Phaeacia excels at these contests, hoping that he leaves this region with positive emotions. By stopping the bard, he honors his special guest by attempting to shift his feelings of misery and suffering to enjoyment and pleasure.

After the contests begin and Odysseus is manipulated into participating in the discus throw, he proves to all who are there how powerful of a mortal he is. Alcinous realizes that someone of great strength is present and he should utilize the situation as a chance to display all that Phaeacia has to offer. He recognizes that with Odysseus’s power, he may one day have his own halls and tell stories to other lords. Therefore he ditches this idea that he claimed early on in the book, of their excellence at boxing and wrestling. After seeing the physical ability Odysseus possesses, he changes his tactic to demonstrating Phaeacia’s talent in the arts and sailing. Once Alcinous became more aware of Odysseus’s importance, the rest of the book focuses on gift giving in order to make certain that Odysseus will leave with fond memories to share with other lords. This starts off with a bard singing of Hephaestus and Aphrodite. In this song, it tells a tale of an affair and revenge. Poseidon is shown begging for mercy for Ares, which must have had a positive impact on Odysseus because of his tension with the god. Broadsea then offers him a silver-studded sword after he had mocked him at the contests. He assures, “if any remark of mine gave you offense, may stormwinds snatch it up and sweep it off,” (Line 456, 457) completely unlike his past behavior when Odysseus’s power was unknown. He reciprocates this respect with a “[t]actful” (Line 459) answer, granting him good fortune and a warm farewell. This shows that both men are wary of their words and actions, knowing it could benefit them both in the future. 

When the people of Phaeacia uncovered the truth about Odysseus’s strength, they demonstrated the difference between a normal guest to host relationship and a powerful guest to host relationship. It is said that Greeks are generally known for their hospitality because they never know when someone of great importance may come as a guest. Even when treating everyone like a god or goddess, when people realize how someone may be of incredible use to them and their objectives because of their power, significance, or fame, they are inclined to create a good relationship with them. Whether that be by gift giving, impressing them, or providing hospitality, everyone acts towards their own goals.

After I read The Odyssey, I felt that the classic shows the greek belief of guest to host relationship through the writing spectacularly and I was inclined to write about it.