Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom | Teen Ink

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom MAG

By blablahblog SILVER, Gold River, California
blablahblog SILVER, Gold River, California

“If you want to learn about healthy living, read this,” I tell my mother, tossing a paperback onto the kitchen table.

There are no cartoons. There are no perceptions of what humanity has accepted as success. The book's contents center on an older sociology professor waiting for death because of Lou Gehrig's disease. But through laughter, tears, and acceptance, he takes time to teach Mitch Albom, his former student, aphorisms about what should truly be valued in life.

Morrie reminds Albom how much humans need to rely on each other, what they were born as, and what they can learn despite the dictatorship of popular culture. And all in a number of Tuesday meetings.

In addition, no beauty is lost in the relationship between these two, who not only relate as teacher to student, but as father to son. Albom's observations emphasize how well Morrie was able to reach out to people, not only with lectures, but with love.

Albom emphasizes the realness of the story not just by portraying his mentor as a master of thought. In addition, he reveals a man who continued to experience changes in his attitude about life right up until the moment it was claimed by illness. The admirable spirit demonstrated by both and the difficulties of saying good-bye make this story hard to forget.

Peace420 BRONZE, Williston, Florida
Ummmm.....I would have to get back at you on that...lol...What kind of books do you like?

taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

Yay! I'm so glad you loved the book, and thanks for taking the time to let me know. I wasn't aware that there was an interview of him - i'll have to check it out. Hey, I'm actually looking for a new book to read. Any recommendations? :)

Peace420 BRONZE, Williston, Florida

I love the book!!!!!!!!

I cried at the end and when I wanted to see Morrie myself I watched the interview on ABCnew.com....

It is now one of my favorite books of all time!

taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

Haha, well I guess I'd be rather biased since I really like Mitch Albom's work :) But in any case, even if you end up not liking the book very much, I hope you'll still have fun learning about it for English.

Peace420 BRONZE, Williston, Florida
IDK.... My teacher saids that we are going to start working with this book after spring break.....I don't like the Author but it sounds really good....

taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

This book is one of my favourite books ever - it is absolutely amazing. I cried reading the book. Tuesdays with Morrie makes you reexamine so many aspects of your own life, the way you think, and your priorities. I'm glad to see that there are others my age who love the book too.