The Second Summer of the Sisterhood | Teen Ink

The Second Summer of the Sisterhood MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     Don't stop. Can't stop. Justone more chapter, then eat. I read this novel in record time. The SecondSummer of the Sisterhood grabs one by the hand and exquisitely reveals aworld of friendship and love. That I chose to skip a party and turn offmy phone in order to finish the book says a lot - it's just thatgood. This novel punctuates the real life of teenage girls across theglobe just begging for someone to understand them.

Ann Brasharesbases her novel on a philosophy that everyone should follow: Love yourpals. Love yourself. This brilliant book unfolds the lives of four bestfriends who are connected by “magical pants” and their love.Carmen, Tibby, Lena and Bridget take the reader on a roller coaster rideas each of their stories is told. Beware the tears and laughs tofollow.

Brashares' work, compared to other writers forteens, is real with transcending chapters. The novel is never too callowor painted with sophisticated words. Moreover, she opens each chapterwith quotes that give the reader a hint of the content without spoilingthe story. I particularly love the way she correlates the mothers withtheir daughters. Carmen, Bridget, Tibby and Lena realize that deep downthey are younger versions of their moms.

Second Summer unlockssecret doors, rekindles love, restores a jaded soul and relaxes a familyrelationship. I admire the way Brashares can write about something sovague and spice it up into a sizzling story. Furthermore, I cannotbelieve how much I can relate to all these characters. I began to findcomfort and friendship as I read about these astonishing girls.

The first book is a sensation but the sequel is, surprisingly,even better. You won't be able to put it down. I find myselfwishing for friends like these girls, friends who will be there nomatter what the situation. All I know is that friendship is the beaconof light that guides us through the dark paths we happen to stumble on..