Mansfield Park by Jane Austen | Teen Ink

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

   Mansfield Park is the tale of a young girl's stressfullife in 17th-century English society.

Fanny Price, born to a mother whomarried beneath her social state, moves to Mansfield Park, an estate owned by heraunt, Lady Bertram, and her husband, Sir Thomas Bertram. Her mother (who marrieda sailor for love) arranged this situation so Fanny could have a better life.However, this is not easy. The Bertrams have four children (Thomas, Edmund, Mariaand Julia), all of whom have been spoiled by their father. The only one who helpsFanny is Edmund, the second son who decides to become a clergyman. Thomas is theeldest, but lacks any sense of responsibility; Maria and Julia plan to marry richmen and be fashionable for the rest of their lives.

Sir Bertram leavesMansfield Park to attend to his plantations, a constant theme in the book. Whilehe is away, Henry and Mary Crawford arrive at Mansfield Park. Both strangers arecharming, but have their own agendas. Henry pursues Maria and maintains aflirtatious relationship with Julia; Edmund develops a relationship with Mary.Yet, whenever he tries to propose, something stops him.

When Maria ismarried to Mr. Rushworth, Henry focuses on Fanny to satisfy his whims. His planof diversion fails, however, when he finds himself falling in love with her. Whenhe proposes, she says no. Sir Bertram, angered by her refusal, returns her to herfamily. And that's just part of the story!

This book is a roller coasterof emotions and lively events. Even though it was published almost threecenturies ago, it depicts timeless values including true love and good versusevil. Many aspects of life can be found if the reader has the patience to gainunderstanding.

All in all, I recommend Mansfield Park to anyone who wantsto read a good dramatic epic about a young girl finding the true meaning of life..